D22 3.0 di timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pngboy45

Reaction score
Hello to everyone

I have a couple of questions and just wanted to get as much information as possible. i'm just wondering and probably a little confused about the procedure for replacing the timing chain. I'm looking at the factory repair manual and it mentions that it must be on top dead centre and with all the timing chain marks lined up. However when it tells you to go to the IP procedure it says nothing about tdc or timing marks on the chain. It does say that I have to find the hole in the idler gear and lock it up with a bolt. ( can I use any bolt or needs to be a special tool?) Then it says just to make some marks on the chain and sprockets. Can any one*clear this up for me😭😭 if I lock this idler gear up will the timing marks on the chain line up?
Thanks heaps guys

Yeah I tried that already but it's not really clear. Do I put it on Tec and have the timing marks lined up or do I not worry about Tec and just lock up the idler gear with a bolt and just make my own marks on sprockets and chain?

does your new timing chain have any paint marks on it ? eg; blue / yellow or such. you must set the engine to TDC and also lock the cog with a bolt so nothing moves while you fit on the new chain. you normally aligh and chain paint marks with the cogs. say 2 x yellow marks must align up with the cogs marks and another yellow mark further away from the 2 x cog marks needs to aligh up with the bottom cog / sprocket. you do not make your own markings whatever you do , follow the colours and follow the punch marks on cog / sprockets . lets say TDC is set correctly and also the bottom cog is aligned with the case marking , now the top head cogs are also aligned with the markings on head face, bolt is fitted so nothing moves, fit chain to line up with cog markings and chain paint colours. if you look at some pics you will understand alot better that what i am trying to say as pics are easier to follow than someones words. have a peep at [ YD25.COM ] look at the paint on timing chains plus the punch marks and case marks for the cog / sprockets.

Ok I pretty much understand thanks to that great detailed explanation. Thanks heaps. So just to clarify if I have everything on the chain matched up with the marks on the sprockets and crank pulley on tdc, then the hole to lock up the idler gear will be inline with plug hole to insert the locking bolt into idler gear? Is this correct

Latest posts

Back