Unkn0wn's QD D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unkn0wn

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a long overdue build thread for my D22.

I picked up this D22 from a guy who tried to get it over the pits after purchasing it from a repairable write-off auction. I like to think I got a fairly good deal on it.
The plan was to fix what's on the pits list and head over the pits, easy enough for me - a seasoned Navara repairer after owning a d21 for a little over 2 years. Coinsidently another member now owns this d21 and has done wonders with it
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=24622

Back to my D22, stock-as-a-rock 1999 DX 4wd dual cab with the super slug Qd3.2 NA diesel motor.

aFZey6v.jpg

old & new

UvJxnfQ.jpg

afMU1rB.jpg

original pits list was seemingly easy enough :
replace centre bearing - easy
adjust suspension - so thats its level - easy case of adjusting torsion bars
fix PS leak - easy, as it did not leak, just needed a good clean
replace broken suspension bolt - this was a horrid job.

the bolt ended up being a lower link spindle bolt. This would not come out at all and I tried everything (lube, big hammer, air hammer, welding nut on it, heating up, etc). Eventually had to cut it + the busing out.
as it had a shiny new bushing on it, i decided to do the other side. This one just slid out and was a really easy job to do….so lesson learnt...lower links will either be super painful and make you want to sell the car, or super easy - completely depending how stuck they are in the bushing.

broken head
41NjyzV.jpg

the bitch of a thing
2jgrgX9.jpg

The car also would not do cold starts, for two reasons, the battery was shit and the glow plugs had failed. I purchased a new set of glow plugs from ebay, i think they were around $30 deliver & got a big Optima Deep cycle (900cca/deep cycle/d31)..the car now started like it should, quickly and with no hesitation or smoke.

v4S3mvu.jpg

Gzr8WqD.jpg

Of to the Pits, as it was over 30 days since the last list a full inspection was done (within 30 days they can only look at the items on the previous list-apparently).
came back with : 1 of the bull bar indicators not working, windscreen wiper bushings need replacing and the ball joints need replacing.

was a little annoyed at myself for not doing the ball joints when i had the suspension apart, but anyway, these were a pretty straightforward swap - except for needing a stupidly large socket to get them undone. 55mm or something, i can't remember now.
just bought new windscreen assembly, as it seem’d to be the only way to get the bushing, on the plus side it was a worthwhile swap as it worked so much better afterward.
The indicator bulb was not broken, I could not see any faults with the wiring, however after touching it - it started working again.

back over the pits - a little worried the indicator would play up on me
but all good and the beast was registered.

lt2pe2F.jpg

now it was the exciting time to plan the Mods.
do the easy things first, a new head unit and speakers
A CB unit

then move onto the important stuff :
a 2 inch suspension lift from Zordo.

shuuqe4.jpg

and this is how it sits currently

bpIa40o.jpg

LhCKDHn.jpg

and this is how you should sit on a hot afternoon

JFBOllK.jpg

Even beforehand, but now even more so with the larger tyres, the qd is a slow beast.
I have everything I need for the turbo conversion, and thanks to another member on the forums a front Lokka
so stay tuned as i get these installed and tested!

Well, after a big week, the turbo is in and it's running.

Still needs some fine tuning with the fuel
however have some more pressing issues to deal with currently.

1) Snaped an exhaust stud. contomlpating getting it removed professionally as i know im s$%t at removing them.

GcMdXmP.jpg

2) leaking oil into the exhaust runner of cyl 1, most likely cause is the valve seal.
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=25725

So the short of it,
I acquired a full turbo setup from a Nissan terrano.
I bought a 'advance' brand 2.5inch dump from ebay
Bought some Misc joiners and what not.

Everything pretty much bolts on, i found i had to change the oil filter housing to get the oil line working (i couldn't remove the bung on the QD one, maybe its not a bung?)

the dump pipe was made for a 3L turbo d22, and as it turned out it did not fit-up. It fit the turbo fine, but fouled on the diff flange, so it needed to be shortened.
I simply made a cut, flared out the pipe, slid it over and welded it in place.

The exhaust system is currently made up of a 2.5inch dump back to the rear of the gearbox, where i made a connecting joiner to the stock rear section (just over 2inch?)
eventually ill make up a full 2.5inch rear section, but for now this works fine.

48pNXpU.jpg

kl4PT5c.jpg

engine bay setup

EUne192.jpg

s3plx16.jpg

its running 8psi currently,
ive only put the fuel screw in about 1/8th, and the EGTS are still pretty cold
so ill do some more fine tuning later.

just hoping to get the two previously mentioned issues sorted first

Cool...

Hi Christian and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The new truck is looking great! The turbo setup looks really good - you should really feel that when you press the loud pedal.

I was given a snorkel for Chrissy - on ebay special as well (but I haven't actually got it yet...) Yours looks sorta similar to the printed pic that was in the Christmas card that said "You'll get it the next time I see you".

Did you have any problems fitting it? Were the instructions in English? How did you make sure that all of the intake was airtight up to the turbo?

That is going to be quite some beast and I look forward to seeing if I can keep up! :3gears:

Keep doing what you are doing - I really enjoy watching what you are up to.

Hi Christian,
Good job with the turbo. You will love it. I have a QD32.
How much was the Zordo kit? That is my next plan.
Also you will need a catch can on the PCV hose.
Alan

and this is how it sits currently

bpIa40o.jpg

LhCKDHn.jpg

and this is how you should sit on a hot afternoon

JFBOllK.jpg

Even beforehand, but now even more so with the larger tyres, the qd is a slow beast.
I have everything I need for the turbo conversion, and thanks to another member on the forums a front Lokka
so stay tuned as i get these installed and tested!

Hey unknown new rig looks great and getting better... most importantly what are the
mountain bikes in the background. nothing better than fourbies and bikes on the same
trip.. ben

Hi Christian and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The new truck is looking great! The turbo setup looks really good - you should really feel that when you press the loud pedal.

I was given a snorkel for Chrissy - on ebay special as well (but I haven't actually got it yet...) Yours looks sorta similar to the printed pic that was in the Christmas card that said "You'll get it the next time I see you".

Did you have any problems fitting it? Were the instructions in English? How did you make sure that all of the intake was airtight up to the turbo?

That is going to be quite some beast and I look forward to seeing if I can keep up! :3gears:

Keep doing what you are doing - I really enjoy watching what you are up to.

Cheers Chris!
I got her driving today and everything is working and not leaking - thank christ!
So went down and tested the LOKKA under the new bridge, did well, very happy.
Turbo works fine, needs some fuel adjustments, that i will do later on, for now im just happy to have her back on the road - its been 3 weeks since i started this dam turbo/lokka swap.

my snorkle had excatly 0 instructions.
pretty much had to make it up myself, just lined up the template best i could, drill'd the holes and it lined up ok, needed to make some holes larger, but for a cheap snorkle it went on without too much fuss.
mine bolted directly to the airbox, but now with thew turbo ive had to move everything, so ill have to make something a bit more custom. Id say you would have to too?

nows she's driving, we should catchup, i wouldn't mind doing a test run along the beach soon!

Hi Christian,
Good job with the turbo. You will love it. I have a QD32.
How much was the Zordo kit? That is my next plan.
Also you will need a catch can on the PCV hose.
Alan

Hey, yep, i have a forefront industries one, that's going on shortly. maybe this weekend if i find the time. I only just got everything clean and tidy enough to drive it around.

the lift kit was just over 1k if i remember correctly and it arrived pretty much the next day - that part impressed me.

mandatory picture update, from this arvo

JvOdswI.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Christian,
The snorkel I used was for a ZD30 and it sits higher so you don't have to move the blinker down. Also the big hole is only half way along guard with a connecting piece inside the guard.
With my exhaust, I took out the front resonator box.
Alan

went out on another adventure this weekend, trying for some marron - unsuccessfully.
will try again this weekend somewhere else.

lokka works great, but does nothing when you beach the rear end on a dirt hill, and the front ends stuck in mud.

P1TdAxa.jpg

our little camp

C278zF0.jpg

and climbing a quarry wall

t5TOT6R.jpg

looking forward to what next weekend brings!

hitup the local tims thicket beach today with a few mates, followed by a bbq and beach session in the afternoon...a most fitting end to a long weekend.

even got to catch-up with Chris, who bought my old D21!.

TcYLT7k.jpg

JxgiE6N.jpg

DQ563U6.jpg

Navs been running great since the turbo and the lokka install.
Next on the cards is to finish of the catch can mount (should have this done tomorrow)
then i think ill look into making a more free flowing exhaust for her.

Looking good christian!
How do those spring ride and what are they, i can see they are blue max but what load rating are they?

cheers
bryan

Cheers Bryan,
Blue max, from Zordo of the forums.
They are the HD load carrying ones, so as you would expect they ride pretty harsh with no load. But it rides great while towing loads or carrying loads, whitch is why i got the HD ones.

Latest posts

Back