Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

down on power?
Old 29-11-2017, 02:29 AM

Garage
Default down on power?

My 06 D40 auto feels like it's down on power. No codes, starts/stops as normal, makes boost, and doesn't miss a beat.
It has a full 3" exhaust with muffler, which strangely now sounds loader, and a snorkel. I also recently fitted a new boost control solenoid, otherwise I can't see anything abnormal!
Sponsored Links

Old 29-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

I'd suggest a couple things to check first. Is there any extra soot coming outta the exhaust. If so and it's thicker then normal and black make sure the air filters not too dirty or a blockage in the air in.
If you just installed a boost contoller, make sure there's no leakage. Possibly an overtight clamp thats pinched the house open.?

Old 29-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

As above. There are more things to check/do:

* Clean the MAFS sensor
* Run some Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment through a tank of fuel
* Clean the intercooler
* Check the EGR block in case it's developed a hole

Observations about smoke are important. When you replaced the BCS, did you do anything with the vac hoses?

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 29-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNING View Post
I'd suggest a couple things to check first. Is there any extra soot coming outta the exhaust. If so and it's thicker then normal and black make sure the air filters not too dirty or a blockage in the air in.
If you just installed a boost contoller, make sure there's no leakage. Possibly an overtight clamp thats pinched the house open.?
haven't noticed anything more than the usual puff when i take off.
it probably could do with a filter change, and with the BCV, there are no clamps for the hoses, as they just push on, however, they have never been changed.

Old 29-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
As above. There are more things to check/do:

* Clean the MAFS sensor
* Run some Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment through a tank of fuel
* Clean the intercooler
* Check the EGR block in case it's developed a hole

Observations about smoke are important. When you replaced the BCS, did you do anything with the vac hoses?

before i changed the BCS, the car fluctuated in power, but once i changed it, the car ran like a dream. now it just seams flat all the time. i will do the quoted cleaning, but just on the Liquid Moly, i did it earlier this year, so would it need doing again so soon?
regarding the turbo, i checked the free play some months ago. i had no end float play, but noticeable side play, but not enough to rub on the housing. so, how much is too much?
Lastly, is it recommended to do do the relearn at any stage?

Old 29-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

You can do the relearn as often as you like, it doesn't do any harm. If you've done the fuel system clean this year you'd expect that wouldn't be needed unless your SCV was playing up or you've filled up with some less than stellar fuel.

A small amount of play on the turbo shaft is ok, if it's more than 1mm I'd be looking for a new one. My original turbo had about 1mm play on the shaft when I replaced it and when I tried refitting that turbo it let go in about 10 minutes. It now has about 10mm of play and of course won't rotate very well at all.

Have you tried (engine off) drawing the turbo actuator all the way up yourself? Remove the vac hose, get a clean new piece and attach one end to the actuator and suck on the other. It should fairly easily rise up - it moves quite a bit if it's in good nick. If it stops after 10mm or so then something's either making it stop (stuck/sticky vanes) or there's a leak in the actuator diaphragm which you'll know because you have to keep sucking on the hose to maintain the position of the actuator arm.

Old 29-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
...and with the BCV, there are no clamps for the hoses, as they just push on, however, they have never been changed.
My apologies, I read it as a new boost controller
Try the other few things @Old.Tony listed as well. All pretty simple

Mine is also leaking from a dodgy clamp on the way into the intercooler, behind the grill on the passenger side. Even tho it looks tight I know the clamps stuffed

Old 30-11-2017, 12:48 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
You can do the relearn as often as you like, it doesn't do any harm. If you've done the fuel system clean this year you'd expect that wouldn't be needed unless your SCV was playing up or you've filled up with some less than stellar fuel.

A small amount of play on the turbo shaft is ok, if it's more than 1mm I'd be looking for a new one. My original turbo had about 1mm play on the shaft when I replaced it and when I tried refitting that turbo it let go in about 10 minutes. It now has about 10mm of play and of course won't rotate very well at all.

Have you tried (engine off) drawing the turbo actuator all the way up yourself? Remove the vac hose, get a clean new piece and attach one end to the actuator and suck on the other. It should fairly easily rise up - it moves quite a bit if it's in good nick. If it stops after 10mm or so then something's either making it stop (stuck/sticky vanes) or there's a leak in the actuator diaphragm which you'll know because you have to keep sucking on the hose to maintain the position of the actuator arm.
thanks again Tony for your advice. I'll check the actuator first, and it's probably a good opportunity to replace all my vac hoses while i'm there.
I think you mentioned once, i'll need approx. 3m of 3mm hose?

Using my torque app., at idle, it'd drawing between -0.4 and -0.1 vacuum, and at best, 18psi of boost!

Old 30-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Boost levels sound ok, as long as they're steadily maintained. 3m of 3mm hose is correct.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNING View Post

took it for a drive today with the window down, so I could see properly behind, and yes, it's choofing heaps of black smoke!