Power Steering problem - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrano4x4

Reaction score
Hi guys I have this problem, steering feels heavy, then normal, then heavy and then normal again, this occurs while turning the wheel and at parking speeds. I'ts also followed by a chirp noise.. what do you guys think? belt?? hopefully it's not the pump. Any help is appreciated

I had that happen on one of my cars - was a bent rack. No idea how I did it - probably hit a gutter at an angle, but once the rack was replaced the car was all good again.

Had any impacts recently?

No rack in the d22s, but if there is a chirp I'd say the pump is getting loaded up enough to make the belt slip. How's the fluid level? Does it do it in the same spot both wheel directions? It could be damaged gears inside the steering box binding up, could also be any of the joints between the box and tie rods...

No impacts...I drive a lot on gravel roads but that shouldn't be enough to hurt something.
fluid level is fine, don't know if it is at the same spot, it does it while turning the wheels fast, left or right. Also noticed, it makes the same noise on full lock.
Gonna take a better look today, i couldn't see much last night..

the problem was gone when I started the nav this morning, it apparently does it after some driving.. had a look at the pump and everything looks fine, no leaks, not even rust..

Oh OK then, if it does it only at full lock or turning the wheel fast the belt will be worn out. It will be loading the pump up enough to make the belt slip. I'd just replace it, that would be your best bet...

couldn't find the belt guys, is there any way to reach the pump better? remember it is a the left side in my nav lol.. also how do I flush the system? might try that out..
EDIT: found it, I was confusing the steering box with the pump, I feel :stupid: now... belt doesn't look bad I think, should I replace it and see if it fixes the problem?

Last edited:
I'd be doing the belt first. If there are no leaks then there shouldn't be any air in there... belts are fairly cheap, if it still does it then let us know and we can suggest further things to look at..

problem solved.. the belt was hard and a little cracky, a new one fixed the issue, thanks guys! :rock:

I just want to add guys that the problem can also be the drive belt not being tight enough. Loosen the pully and tighten the tensioner above (right to tighten belt), then tighten up the pully again. I have had to take it tighter than I'd like but will get my boy away with it for a while!

Latest posts

Back