Rebuilding your QD32 with an aftermarket turbo?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boriskov

Reaction score
Converting an aftermarket turbo QD32 NA to QD32ETI internals.
Information for people wanting to do this:

QD32 with an aftermarket turbo commonly results in a cracked piston or two (check for wrecking vehicles, it's almost always the case). In before comments like "well mine has been turboed for XXkm and its fine"... ok mate :D try it without your pussy boost and no fuelling.

Just to confirm. QD32ETI pistons WILL fit in a standard QD32, as I've done this myself. The piston is 0.1mm shorter, so compensate when doing piston heights with a graded head gasket.

The turbo pistons have extra meat in all the right places to prevent the pistons from cracking when compared to the standard pistons. Total piston weight for the turbo pistons (piston, rings, gudgeon pin) came to 1145g each after adjustment. It was a concern because the pin webs are reinforced, and I thought the conrod might not fit. It does.

THIS CAN EASILY BE DONE WITHOUT REMOVING THE ENGINE

Remove front differential
Remove steering idler arm and pull linkage out of the way
Remove sump + bracket
Remove intake system, and detach dump pipe from turbo. (no need to remove turbo or manifold)
Disconnect injector lines
Remove rocker cover and rockers.
Remove 2x vertical water jacket bolts (one on thermostat housing at 10 o'clock, and one down to the left of this)
Remove cylinder head

Pistons out, hone, gap rings and add the newies.

Reverse the process. Done.

I'm running 15psi and approximately 1/2 turn on the fuel from factory tune. I'm also considering altering the timing for the new heavier pistons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back