2010 model YD25 motor knocking when cold under idle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their YD25 motor making a knocking noise when cold at idle. My D22 tends to do this lately especially on really cold mornings. I had a quick look under the timing cover and all seems well. It only has 50000km on the clock (2 months out of warranty) and along with all its other string of problems (mostly fixed under warranty) this is just another annoying setback. Once the car has been warmed up it goes away but my thoughts are still pointing towards something in the front of the motor.

happy 4x4ing , see you out on the tracks

Navaraowner

Same for me mate just got 2009 d22 with 80000ks on it put water on belts on cold morns the noise goes away booked in for 4 new belt see what that does

Hey mate. I got in touch with my local TJM shop and they said the knocking is from dry/cold starts. He put me onto this Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. You put 130ml in every oil change and it stops the knocking. It worked with mine. Its designed to leave oil in places it normally doesnt when cold. Hope that helps. Under $20 a bottle.

Just thought I'd return to this thread and mention more experiences with this.
Sold my navara last month, which has been doing this noise thing for a while. I believe it still does it. We just got a few new d22's at work. 2 out of the 6 are doing the exact same thing!!!
Bit of moisture or CRC on belts... Whisper quiet!
I had the privilege to take each one back to dealer for first 1k service. I mentioned this to the service centre and showed one of their blokes what's exactly happening. One of them they replaced the belts and it fixed it. However, I'm 90% sure that the noise is slowly returning on these crisp Melbourne mornings we're having.

Tapping from cold

Hi
Regarding the tapping noise from cold, I have a 2009 2.5 Str doing exactly the same thing, changed alternator and idler pulley with no difference. Took it to Nissan, left it there overnight, they heard it and changed all 3 belts and would you believe it, noise GONE!
Use genuine Nissan belts not after market ones.
Cheers
Paul

I've just experienced the same problem with my D22. With only 75000km on the clock. A really loud rattle on cold start up that you would swear was a timing chain rattle. I put some water on the belts and the noise went away instantly. I have now put a new set of genuine belts on it and the problem is solved. Make sure you do the water test before you head down the expensive timing chain path.

Yep, same on my 09 d22. Belts get noisy on cold starts and the yd25 motor in general is a noisy one at times I have found. The belts, pulleys and injectors all make a bit of noise in unison when cold and make the engine sound rattly. I have explored the noises alot and like the others have found that belts play a big part. I just tighten the belts a bit when the noise starts cropping up in the mornings and if the tighten doesn't work, I spray a bit of belt grip spray on them. If still noisy, change them out for new Nissan belts. The other thing is that it seems to be finnicky with oil and filters. I experimented with a few different oils and filters and the engine has varying levels of knocking and rattling depending on brands and types I used. I found, for my car it runs smoothest and quietest with STP 5w40 synthetic oil and a repco filter. Even quieter at startup than penrite oil and a genuine Nissan filter... It's all about getting the oil to the timing chain tensioner as quick as possible when cold starting...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

both my sons 2013 d-22 with 65k and my 2015 d22 with 20k on the clock are very quite both on cold start ups and warm running . we use Penrite 5w-40 semi synthetic oil and genuine nissan oil filter both ghanged every 5k plus we use the genuine fuel filter [ quiet injectors ] and change every 10k. i must say i did try 15w-50 penrite and the engine was abit noisier when taking off cold. so the thinner engine oil is the go i feel.

Latest posts

Back