2010 model YD25 motor knocking when cold under idle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaraowner

Reaction score
Hello All
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their YD25 motor making a knocking noise when cold at idle. My D22 tends to do this lately especially on really cold mornings. I had a quick look under the timing cover and all seems well. It only has 50000km on the clock (2 months out of warranty) and along with all its other string of problems (mostly fixed under warranty) this is just another annoying setback. Once the car has been warmed up it goes away but my thoughts are still pointing towards something in the front of the motor.

happy 4x4ing , see you out on the tracks

Navaraowner

Hey mate. See my thread here.
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=15940

Loud very noticeable tapping coming from the front of the motor.
My one still does it, haven't been able to pin point it. But a bit of CRC or WD40 sprayed on the belt, it makes it instantly go away.
One thinks it's something to do with the tensioner. I've had nissan look over it, but found nothing. By the time the car was taken there to get looked at, whatever causes the issue, has by then warmed up and too late to try and identify the culprit by then. Also changed all belts, still nothing. Very weird issue. Try some CRC on the belt right after you start the car on a cold morning.

My D22 is up to 53,000k as well and has the same knocking noise as well, more prominent now that it is getting cooler in that I can start the car and you can hear it, go grap the garden hose and walk around spraying the windows to get the morning dew off, and that minute or so the knocking nose usually has gone.

If it makes you feel any better, my step father's Parado does it and my old SsangYong use to do the same as well, and both of those had 160,000+ odd klm's on the clock

mine does it as well, cold start and 10 sec of knocking..
so I read other threads but can't understand how belts can make such a noise.. I'm gonna try throwing some water on them.

Last edited:
Would he worrying to much about it. If you are using a 10w or 15w oil it may be to thick. I'm using a 5w and it still makes the noise but for a short time. As the tensioner is tensioned by the oil it has to build up pressure before it can tension. The thicker the oil the longer it will take. Mine now has 70000 kms on it and has been doing it since about 30000. Also had mechanic sus it out and when the time comes I will be throwing the double link chain kit in it.

Rusty

Dont use thicker oil it will take longer to get up oil pressure when cold. I use a 5w 40 syn oil have had no issues with 80000km on the clock.I think our local nissan dealer uses a 5w 30 syn(castrol proffesional i think)

what temperature are we talkin about?? mine neva do a weird sound on cold start(14ºC in my city). i remember my Grand vitara G16B motor used to have that noise on cold start, i did change oil from(if im not wrong) 20-40 to 10-40 and the noise were almost gone.

i hope this can help you

greetings!

Tried the WD40 trick this morning. Worked again. Loud taping noise, almost metal to metal, sounds exactly like tappets, lifters, tiny bit of CRC on belt and it goes away.
I don't know why/how it fixes it, but it does. I'll try and take a video of mine again one of these mornings.

hey thanks for your reply's

It seems to happen at temperatures anything under 15 degrees , so not exactly that cold. It definatly sounds like a metal to metal rattle/knock and doesnt go away for at least a few minutes at idle until the engine gets some heat in it. I might have a bit of a play on the weekend again with it to try and better diagnose.

I had the same problem when I was working at toowoomba in winter, any cold morning my nav sounded like it dropped a valve or something. I found on a euro nissan website that the standard belts shrink in the cold pulling all the pulleys together making the bearings knock and when the belt loosens up it goes away. I replaced all belts with Bosch belts that are ribbed on the inside which do make a small winding sound but it never knocked again and that was 2 years ago.

Replace you belts, it's not an internal engine problem so don't freak out.

Last edited:
Gday guys
Keep a very close eye on this!! The ticking noise that you hear when cold is the timing chain. Mine is currently in the workshop getting a new timing chain and all accossiated parts with it replaced. The noise was getting noticeably loader the last few weeks that early 2 weeks ago the noise didnt go away. As in when i was driving to work the noise was still there. I then took it to nissan who said to leave it there because the chain maybe only a few kms away from failing. Got a phone call today saying that they have recieved the parts and are currently stripping my motor. Was hard to get warrenty due to nissan being so anal. Had to provide full service history as in invoices from services. Mine has done 90,000km

Some have timing chain rattle others are belt flat spots like ya Tyres when cold they vibrate.

Timing chain is cause by the tensioner, early ones had no ratchet system so over night oil drains down causing loose chains on start up. If its under warranty they are replacing chains slides and tensioner.

OMG mine dose the same thing went to nissan today and they said it could be the timing chain i beg to differ as i did the wd40 spray on the pulley and it stopped. its only done 50,000

Last edited:
I posted this in another tread on the forum. I found when I was changing my coolant that when the belts got wet it makes a metal on metal sounding noise. I changed all my belts an haven't heard it since.

Funny you say that mate. Mines the exact same noise. 2mths out of warranty and the same age everything . I found it must have somthing to do with the air con cause when mines cold backing out of the garage it does it too. If you turn off the air con it stops. When everything warms up then it stops. Ive think it could be the aircon belt mate. Keep me posted???.

funny you say that scott my nav did the same thing when my aircon was on then nissan tightened it and it went away im under the same impression. the pulley above the aircon is the one that rattles for me.

It's all normal, it's injectors knocking common rail injectors have a ridiculously high nossle cracking pressure. When there cold there louder. You'll find it'll worsen when there under load ie let the clutch out slowly in first gear an give no acceleration an listen to them knock when cold.

Latest posts

Back