Time to re-paint sliders - spray can advice?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
With my sliders looking a bit tired and the cost of blasting and powder coating more than its worth to me, its time to clean them up and give them a fresh paint job.

Does anyone have any recommendations on spray can primers and top coats, had anyone had better success with the more expensive spray cans than the cheaper stuff?

I’ve resprayed the bullbar on my Nav where it had surface rust and scuffs, first up a good sand and clean with mentho. Then I just used the Australian export primer and painted Matt black, no point buying the dearer paints if you just going to damage again. Expensive paints on high abuse areas offer similar life as the cheaper brands due to constant wear. Nothing beats the finish of professional powder coat, but I reckon Australian export paints a great for all these of jobs and for only $3 a can can’t go wrong.
Cheers,
Mat

i have found a very strong paint material which is a simple Turps based product that comes in either spray can or small paint cans that you can brush on is whats called Machine Paint . this paint is used or was used on air compressors and other heavy duty machinery , its a two - tone type of paint that comes in several colours including black. its not expensive / its tough and it just like house paint to apply., also it looks better than a straight paint finish on metal bars.

i have found a very strong paint material which is a simple Turps based product that comes in either spray can or small paint cans that you can brush on is whats called Machine Paint . this paint is used or was used on air compressors and other heavy duty machinery , its a two - tone type of paint that comes in several colours including black. its not expensive / its tough and it just like house paint to apply., also it looks better than a straight paint finish on metal bars.
Do u have a link for this type of paint?

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

it is called Hammer Coat its a hammered metal finish available in several colours, the brand i have is Hitec which i got from the local paint shop, you can get this at bunnings, i have about 3/4s of a litre of black here if only you were closer you could have it.

aha I wondered if you meant hammer tone, I'm pretty certain I have a tin of black hammer tone in the shed. although last time I used it with a brush it didn't 'hammer' real well, I suspect it might hammer better if applied through a spray gun.
thanks jonney.

hey ben try a nook and cranny roller,[about 100 mm wide] you can buy a sponge roller for it and apply quite thick to get the hammer effect, if you are still having trouble getting the effect you can try thinning it but be very sparing as you don't want it to run
cheers doug

hey ben try a nook and cranny roller,[about 100 mm wide] you can buy a sponge roller for it and apply quite thick to get the hammer effect, if you are still having trouble getting the effect you can try thinning it but be very sparing as you don't want it to run
cheers doug
I might just give that a go doug.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

yes this stuff doesn,t brush on very well compared to the spray can. go idea to use a small 2 inch foam roller for the bars.

Iv painted my roof tray and bullbar in rustkill matt black its good shit

Latest posts

Back