D21 Points to Electronic Ignition conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilleye

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a 1987 Nissan D21 D/C ute with a Z20 motor (2.0ltr, 4 cyl) in it. Just wondering if anyone is aware of a kit to convert the points to electronic ignition? Looked online at things like Accuspark, Hotspark and Petronix systems but can't seem to find the right kit.

Distributors I have for this vehicle are 22100-T7012 and 22100-15G15.

Or if you have any other thoughts on how to do this they'd also be appreciated.

are you sure you want to take away the good old points and replace with the new elecronic stuff ? i would personally stick with the pionts and fit a good quality ignition coil and good wire filled h.t. leads not the carbon filled ..

Just want to replace the distributor internals (points and condenser) with electronic components. It'll give better power and fuel economy from the stronger and more precise spark. Given the Z20 is thirsty and gutless the mod is quite appealing. I can always put the points back in later if I want to retain the classic heritage.

Last edited:
If your that keen you could remove yours and take it to a wrecker that had a KA24 in stock and see if it was possible, given the age ect it's probably a fruitless exercise.:peace:

yes as mentioned i would be going for a good sportys type coil and good quality high tension leads plus don,t forget a good set of sparkplugs. if you want more grunt fit a set of extractors and a matching free flow exhaust system. how many K,s on the clock ??

160,000km.

Good advice regarding HT leads, coil and plugs.
i know its not really the answer you were wanting but theres nothing bad about using points ignition with old school coil and h.t. leads . i am from the old school so to speak and i have to say i had some very fast cars back in the 70,s that only had points ignition etc etc , as i did say buy a good quality high voltage coil and good high tension leads that have preferably copper wire insde not that carbon filled rubbish that breaks down before you know it. also fit a new Condensor plus make sure the Rotor Button is good as well as the Dizzy Cap, no hairline cracks or corroded point pickups. dont forget the good old Extractors too.

I know this is a few months old now, but the early KA24, and maybe the late Z24s, came out with a throttle body injector in some markets. Would that do what you want?

Latest posts

Back