Traction control warning light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayne89

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Hoping someone here might have experienced this before.
I have a 2012 d40 and my traction control warning light (VDC) is constantly on.
Have changed the sensor I originally thought it was but still on.
In the beginning it would go on and off randomly while driving until it got to a point where it was just constantly on.
Have checked with obd2 and the Engine light flash method and both show no fault codes :/ any ideas what it could be or how to clear it?

I should also add I don't think the traction control is intact working as I have had it sideways in the rain a few times and it has not pulled me up. Also once changing the tyres to 255/70/16 my speedo is out by about 10km. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it but thought it'd be worth mentioning.
Any advice is appreciated. cheers

You'll probably find that if its a4x4 you won't be able to go into high range either. My first thought is a loose/dirty/broken wire (abs sensor wire- I think) first place to look is on your front spring tower, under the upper control arms, to the back of the car there's a grey plastic clip. That wire is the questionable wire.

Have you been thru dirt or sand recently? Mine does it on the beach occasionally, just filled with a bit of sand.
Otherwise it could be the back.. without looking at my car - on the rear axle there's a metal brake line going to the inside of the drum, the same abs?speed sensor? (Whatever it is) wire is upfront of that. Just follow them up, check there intact and clean any joining clips

So had a look over the weekend, couldn't see any obvious dramas anywhere, tried desperately to get the light off to no avail. Ended up going to mechanic yesterday and had car scanned with their expensive diagnostic tool and he managed to get it off but said it will most likely come back on, which it did that night. He said the code was the steering angle sensor? Does anyone know anything about that? Does it need to be recalibrate or maybe fault and replaced all together. ? I'm not very knowledgeable about it, hadn't even thought it would have anything to do with it untill now. Any advice is appreciated

Your ABS sensors are on the outer part of the wheels, and assuming they haven't changed the axles in some time (in the D40 range), the front sensors are located right next to the wheel bearings and suffer from debris getting in when the bearings fail.

I had my front right wheel bearing fail, started making my ABS light come on, and my ABS would trigger at the lightest braking sometimes, then my 4WD light came on. Replaced the wheel bearing and all was good.

How did I know which bearing? Sound. In a left hand corner where the car is going moderately hard around the corner and the weight is transferred to the right side of the car, the car made more noise than in a right hand corner where the weight transfers to the left.

Try it - on a dry road, take a 55km/h corner at 60km/h - it ought to be enough load to give you an indication if one side is wearing more than the other.

Latest posts

Back