Oops! Left in 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekka

Reaction score
Just had a seniors moment and left 4wd selected. Did about 350klm towing van at around 90kmh. Everything seems ok but what happens, does 4wd automatically turn off at a certain speed?

Thanks, it was all mainly straight Hwy driving. Drivetrain is not making any strange noises so hopefully all is well.

Wouldn’t worry too much. Usually if you leave it in 4WD and drive on bitumen it feels like you lose a heap of power. That’s the windup in the drive train building up.

I couldn’t imagine the axle speeds between front and rear would be too different on the highway and the tires would slip as you drive.

I actually found myself guilty of this when coming back from the Easter long weekend, I drove 70k's before realising, the drive was all flowing road's with sweeping corners so nothing too sharp, and then once getting into Goulburn and hitting a round-about it just felt like the car lost power and that's when I knew what I'd done or didn't do. The first thing I thought of was this thread, but I don't have any funny noises coming from the transfer to I'm hoping everything is ok.

It is mentioned that every month or so you should select 4 x 4 drive and go for a good run in 4 x 4 . so i doubt any damage would occur driving on a hard surface atall.

Running 4wd on a sealed road is a great way to destroy a transfer case. The running in 4wd thing doesn't mean driving on the road in 4wd. D40s also have fixed front hubs to they don't need to lock the hubs in and drive every month or so (the recommendation for d22s as they have manual front hubs.) Locking the hubs in on a d22 and driving around circulates the oil in the diff and transfer case. You don't need to have the transfer case in 4hi or 4lo...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Manual front hubs? Them there's "freewheeling front hubs!" :)

Lots of boy racers with other 4x4's that don't have them, are busy installing them, at great cost, on their new, high tech 4x4's!

And yes, the manual says to lock the hubs now & again to lubricate the bits - no mention of driving in 4WD to do so.

I do it when I wash the car!

There's an idea for D22 drivers. If you only need to turn the front diff over (and that is what the issue of locking the front hubs is about) then just engage 4WD without locking the front hubs. Stay in out of the rain and cold and still get the job done.

Manual front hubs? Them there's "freewheeling front hubs!" :)

Lots of boy racers with other 4x4's that don't have them, are busy installing them, at great cost, on their new, high tech 4x4's!

And yes, the manual says to lock the hubs now & again to lubricate the bits - no mention of driving in 4WD to do so.

I do it when I wash the car!
Well they are technically all freewheeling hubs, when you are not in 4wd they are "freewheeling" as they are not being driven. The d22 ones are just called manual freewheeling hubs because they are only engaged "manually."
There's an idea for D22 drivers. If you only need to turn the front diff over (and that is what the issue of locking the front hubs is about) then just engage 4WD without locking the front hubs. Stay in out of the rain and cold and still get the job done.
It will achieve the same outcome. The only thing to remember is to only move the lever to 4hi when stopped, as the front end is not turning over, it will be the same as trying to go between 4hi and 4lo while moving.

The good thing with "manual freewheeling hubs" is being able to engage 4lo without locking the hubs for slow maneuvering (especially with trailers) on any surface without creating transmission windup.

The good thing with "manual freewheeling hubs" is being able to engage 4lo without locking the hubs for slow maneuvering (especially with trailers) on any surface without creating transmission windup.

Oh the number of times I could have used this. I have thought about popping the front drive shaft off so I could have that too. Reversing my 2.5T caravan into my driveway for a start. I suspect people on boat ramps would have similar wishes.

Not for pulling stumps out. 4LO with all 4 wheels being driven is the go there. And I've done a few of those now.

It is mentioned in the D-22 manual that you NEVER select 4 x 4 drive without having the front hubs locked in position. you can drive with the front hubs locked in and no 4 x 4 selected but not that other way.

Oh the number of times I could have used this. I have thought about popping the front drive shaft off so I could have that too. Reversing my 2.5T caravan into my driveway for a start. I suspect people on boat ramps would have similar wishes.

Yes, it works a treat Tony!

It is mentioned in the D-22 manual that you NEVER select 4 x 4 drive without having the front hubs locked in position. you can drive with the front hubs locked in and no 4 x 4 selected but not that other way.

You must have a different manual than the one that came with my D22?

I do it quite often & have had zero issues.

I’ve left mine in 4wd a couple of times. Once for a 15min drive. As above, I noticed when I got to a fight turn and the transfer case started to wind up and I ‘lost power’. No harm yet, and I suspect that evil eit has probably loaded up the transfer case a bit much won’t actually do harm unless you can feel the power loss and try to drive through it. I suspect it would be worse for your tyres on a long drive.

Latest posts

Back