Stereo wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fatman

Reaction score
Just instaling my stereo in my 03 str and was wondering if someone would please tell me the wiring colours and there purpose
i.e
red = power
yellow = blah blah
you know, the laymans terms wiring guide lol
cheers
chris

Last edited:
assuming you speak of an aftermarket stereo?
Red = power - accessory
yellow= power to battery or constant. (normally has a fuse) saves your radio and clock settings
blue= power antenna or outboard amp trigger
black= earth. some units will earth via the antenna but best to connect it anyway to reduce system noise

speakers will group together front and rear
front is generally grey and grey with black stripe
white and white with black stripe
from memory white is right.

rears will be green and green with black stripe
and purple and purple with black stripe.

I generally use a slave speaker like a cheapy OEM dashboard speaker to test everything before slotting it all in. The above should be about right.

disclaimer: most units I use are Alpine so I don't know if any other manufacturers use different colours.

Handy tip if you don't know positive and negative on the speakers or are hooking up to random colour factory speaker wires and couldn't be bothered pulling the door apart to check at the speaker itself...a humble old 9V battery. when you tap the two wires to a speaker on the battery if you get the polarity right and +'ve wire to +ive on the 9v battery the speaker will pop out with a nice clear sound. mix it up wrong and it will suck back in and " huff" It won't hurt the speaker and makes life much easier especially if you retain the factory speakers and dont want to dismantle as much to run the wires through to the doors

I pretty much now have the speakers sorted but on my aftermaRKET wiring harness i have 3 wires left over.
.one red, which i know to be the power/acc
second is yellow
third is black which i suspect to be the earth
the trouble comes when i look at the nissan factory stereo wires, the 3 left are red, purple and orange?
i know red is power so i hooked up purple to the yellow and black to the orange as i presummed orange = earth....
I tested stereo and everynow and then when i turn it up a bit it cuts out which i expect to be a safety cutout type thing...
So...lol
red = power
purple = ?
orange = ?
please and thanks in advance
chris

Hey Fatman,

I had the same issue with the stereo.

Dave set me in the right direction and havent had a drama since.

Red is the 12v constant
Purple is the 12v Acc
Orange- IS NOT NEGATIVE, although its the only one left.
Nissan didnt put a negative wire into thie loom. They use the Arial.
Orange is the 12v dim for the original radio.
If you hook your neg upto the orange wire, you will blow your dash lights and tail lights (same fuse).

I hope I got that the right way round, i made a little note in my manual so Id remember for next time, but its in the car and its like 3 degrees when I am and im not getting out of bed to get it. LOL

Hope this helped.

Stuart

Oh, just leave your negative floating around at the back of the unit, tape it up of course.

I have and havent had any issues what so ever.

Stuart

There is a blue/purple wire from memory in original wiring loom that is actually connected to your lighting circuit (dimmed the old stereo) do not connect this wire to your new loom, you will constatnly be blowing fuses and losing your dash/tail lights.....I learn't the hard way. You should be able to find it / test it with a little light stick thing when you turn lights on and off.................? Have a go anyway.

So is it the orange or the blue/purple that is the original stereo dimmer?
I just pulled out stereo and disco'd the orange/black i connected and yeah, the fuse is gooooooooone, all i need now is to connect up my uhf and ima happy boy, would love my sub going too :( miss my ac/dc metallica/country music pumpin' lol

Yeah Orange is for the dimmer, Just finished putting in my new JVC bluetooth USB sterio the other weekend. Man i love loud music too just wish the 2 15" subs would still fit in!

Might pull mine out tomorrow and list the wire colours up on the site.

How did use join the wires. Soldering and heatshrink I hope.

Dave.

Mine was a quick throw together, have to buy a soldering iron and stuff to do it properly, so bodgey i am.
replaced the speakers in the front doors and they have some stupid little clip on them so i just cut the wires n twisted the new wires around the speaker connections lol for that nice crisp clean stereo sound haha gonna do it all properly when i finally get a full day off.
And yeah, i WILL find a way to put a sub in lol

I left the factory socket on the loom and put 1.5mm male blades on each of the new head unit wires and pushed them into the socket, then taped to secure and insulate. By doing this its easy to refit the factory head unit if and when you decide to sell the vehicle! The constant 12V is red, ACC is purple, Dimmer is orange (ignore unless your unit has dim function for when headlights are on) and other to pairs are front speakers. I connected my negative by fitting an eyelet to the wire (black) and finding a metal surface to screw it to (you could tuck it behind any screw that is fixed to the metal part of dash if you dont want to put a new screw in).

I'll get photos up for you asap.

Last edited:
Sweet thanks for that, as per usual i did a hack job with the factory stereo and just cut the wires at the clip thereby probably rendering the thing useless now lol if i get another harness for it do i need to get a pin code to put it back in ? if ever i sell it i would put the old unit back in....

So just wanted to confirm that the door speakers for the D22 are 6" not 6.5"???

Thanks.

Sweet thanks for that, as per usual i did a hack job with the factory stereo and just cut the wires at the clip thereby probably rendering the thing useless now lol if i get another harness for it do i need to get a pin code to put it back in ? if ever i sell it i would put the old unit back in....

:suicide:

I'd keep your factory plug so you can splice it back on in future. AFAIK the stereo plug is not detachable from the harness, so a new one means buying the whole harness, ouch, or sourcing a male plug from somewhere (USA). The PIN is derived from the VIN code of the source car, the dealer can do it for you and shouldn't charge.

I put 16cm ones in mine, front and rear. Note in the rear i had to use shallow basket ones to fit inside the window rails.

Latest posts

Back