D40 money sucking piece of shit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellas.

This has been a good read guaranteed!
It does point to a few truths about 4x4s;

- All 4x4 will have their 'issues', regardless of brand...some minor or rare others catastrophic and pervasive. Research goes a long way.

- Right tool for the job paradigm. Even if you buy a vehicle which on some counts is suboptimal for the purpose you can remedy it...engine chip, exhaust, suspension, radiator etc. Again research goes a long way.

- I hear a lot of grizzles about Nissan aftermarket care and products...I can't give an opinion on this as I'm only new to my D40. Thus far I'm happy with what I have...I know its strengths and weaknesses aside from the features I bought it for...after doing some research. I plan to fix the saggy suspension, tired rear diff, small for (my) purpose fuel tank, turbo lag, etc...My responsibility!

I have owned a Pajero - It was OK...learned a lot about 4x4 with that one. I then had a Jeep Cherokee...small but great vehicle, freaking expensive to repair anything on it though. Next was a Hyundai Terracan...brilliant for what I needed...I knew the suspension was crap though and changed as soon as I got it. Hyundai were the exemplar of great aftermarket service and warranty issues...just a few dope apprentice mechanics at the dealer...'nuff said. I went all over with it, Simpson, High Country etc. However, it became apparent that the camping, traveling and off-road stuff we were doing was not doing the Terracan any internal wear and tear favours long term so I acquired the Navara cab chassis...for the purpose of building a camper canopy on the back. The Terracan as I've set it up is a fantastic long distance gargleblaster on any surface...especially with front and rear lockers fitted.

Anyway I will still be spending $10,000 to get the D40 to my spec. Again research and accepting that it my responsibility for the choosing, modifying and respecting the vehicle. No use getting p!zzed at someone else.

Sign it shops says, "You break it...you own it."
For 4x4 "You own it, You break it...you still own it!"

Cheers
Brad

Last edited:
If you bought the car to just tow a boat, should have done some research before buying it. Come in here, to a Nissan forum and say that its a piece of shit? Can only put that down to how you drive it, or the way it was treated before you bought it. Fuck off mate and buy your toyota
I have been a forum member for a while now, but sorry to put a dent your Nissan pride, but i know diesels and have a D22 and D40, they have both been trouble compared to friends and work associates that have tritons, hilux's and amaroks. Bit of a pity due to the fact that i have had datsuns and nissans all my life, as soon as they run out of warranty these navs will be the last.

Hi fellas.

- All 4x4 will have their 'issues', regardless of brand...some minor or rare others catastrophic and pervasive. Research goes a long way.

- Right tool for the job paradigm. Even if you buy a vehicle which on some counts is suboptimal for the purpose you can remedy it...engine chip, exhaust, suspension, radiator etc. Again research goes a long way.

- I hear a lot of grizzles about Nissan aftermarket care and products...I can't give an opinion on this as I'm only new to my D40. Thus far I'm happy with what I have...I know its strengths and weaknesses aside from the features I bought it for...after doing some research. I plan to fix the saggy suspension, tired rear diff, small for (my) purpose fuel tank, turbo lag, etc...My responsibility!

I have owned a Pajero - It was OK...learned a lot about 4x4 with that one. I then had a Jeep Cherokee...small but great vehicle, freaking expensive to repair anything on it though. Next was a Hyundai Terracan...brilliant for what I needed...I knew the suspension was crap though and changed as soon as I got it. Hyundai were the exemplar of great aftermarket service and warranty issues...just a few dope apprentice mechanics at the dealer...'nuff said. I went all over with it, Simpson, High Country etc. However, it became apparent that the camping, traveling and off-road stuff we were doing was not doing the Terracan any internal wear and tear favours long term so I acquired the Navara cab chassis...for the purpose of building a camper canopy on the back. The Terracan as I've set it up is a fantastic long distance gargleblaster on any surface...especially with front and rear lockers fitted.

Anyway I will still be spending $10,000 to get the D40 to my spec. Again research and accepting that it my responsibility for the choosing, modifying and respecting the vehicle. No use getting p!zzed at someone else.

Cheers
Brad
spot on goes for any car, Its why there is cheap factory xr6 intercoolers, Because some owners want a bit more, Some people put pod filters on and others change rims. And some people should get the bus

Stop showing me your pea shooter!

The day any manufacturer makes a car that has no problems is the day all car manufacturers go broke for obvious reason. I'm not suggesting they make cars to break but they could all make them stronger.

Hi fellas.

Cheers
Brad

G,day Brad,

Well written mate!

Regards,

RLI
:saberfighting:

but i know diesels and have a D22 and D40, they have both been trouble compared to friends and work associates that have tritons, hilux's and amaroks.

The trouble with comments like that is they are anecdotal and don't prove anything other than an individuals experiences.

At work for example we have 2 D22's and a Triton, the only one that's given any problems is the Triton.

What happened? Well... the motor blew up (yes really)... 17,000kms on it, still under warranty... and the cooling system failed cooking the motor. The motor was rebuilt under warranty and it's still ok 20,000kms further on but who knows what it's going to do down the track.

The simple fact is that any brand of vehicle can have issues and there isn't any real data to support the claim that any of the common utes are substantially more reliable than any other.

The simple fact is that any brand of vehicle can have issues and there isn't any real data to support the claim that any of the common utes are substantially more reliable than any other.

But I know a bloke who knows a bloke who has a pet elephant that he hires out for Bar Mitzvahs and one of his clients told him that his third cousin on his mothers side once brought a Toyota and it blew up. I'd never touch another Toyota in my life.

But I know a bloke who knows a bloke who has a pet elephant that he hires out for Bar Mitzvahs and one of his clients told him that his third cousin on his mothers side once brought a Toyota and it blew up. I'd never touch another Toyota in my life.

Good enough reason for me. Hahahaha

I had an '06 SR5, and it is nowhere near as good as the D40 i have now.

Got an 09 Lux on the farm and it's the one vehicle none of us want to drive. But I'll drive the 09 Playdo any day and when you see how the Playdo gets treated it is a credit to Toyota but that doesn't mean to say they can't and wont make lemons.

Rav4's are bordering between a voluntary recall and a "lets just tell owners on the sly and not call it a recall" situation for two separate issues. They may not be built on the Land Cruiser frame or in the same mould but they are made by the company so many claim make perfect cars.

I reckon I know this bloke. Is he the bloke who lives up the road and around the corner from the fella who dropped a 7.3 diesel v8 into his d40 with the 12 inch lift and can light up the 38" tyres all the way up to 9th gear?

I have been a forum member for a while now, but sorry to put a dent your Nissan pride, but i know diesels and have a D22 and D40, they have both been trouble compared to friends and work associates that have tritons, hilux's and amaroks. Bit of a pity due to the fact that i have had datsuns and nissans all my life, as soon as they run out of warranty these navs will be the last.

Mate it really does depend on each individual story, and what problems you are comparing.
In my case of owning both a D22, which clocked up over 370'000km with out one single warranty claim or any major repair and now a D40, with over 80'000 and so far its the same
Both of my Navara's over their time have had way less dramas then my mates Lux's and my Uncles Triton.
Cant say i can add the Amarok onto that list as i dont know anyone quite DUMB enough to spend that sort of coin on what looks like a dressed up RODEO........

I do hope that when you jump ship the new rides dont give you any drama, that way you wont have to buy a horse and cart, then shoot the horse cause its a skitso mental case...........:deadhorse:

Last edited:
So... if you want to buy a manual ute because it's your weekend toy go for it, but don't fool yourself... modern autos ARE the 'right tool for the job'.

Yeah for road vehicles maybe....but I'd still go the manual for 4beeing.

Latest posts

Back