Rip off's on unnecessary parts replacement by Nissan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the evsta

Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals,

What is it with bloody Nissan trying to rip everyone off by attempting to get you to spend unnecessary coin on stuff that doesn't need replacing in the first place?

My recent example on my '08 D22.....
I had a fuel delivery issue which ended up being a sticky suction control valve on the fuel pump. (BIG thanks Mick from MS Engines in Vic for discovering that, cause it had me stumped!)

When ordering my new SCV, dip sh*t Nissan attempted to con me in to replacing the entire fuel pump - at around $3k for the pump only I should add - when all that needed replacing was the SCV which was $219.
Needless to say, after replacing the SCV there was no further issues and i'm the best part of $2600 better off.

I'd hate to imagine all of the poor buggers out there that have fallen for the "yeah but it could go as well" bullcrap that Nissan try and feed you.

Anyone else have any similar stories with these chuckle heads and spare parts?

all stealerships do that.
even stuff that isn't related to the fault. goes in for brake pads, comes out with a new engine.
or the other one is goes in for service, charge you for new air filter, oil filter oil etc and then you find it still has the same old filters in it.

Nissan charge lots of money for their parts because they can. People will still buy "genuine Nissan" because if you have a "genuine" part installed, and it causes problems, then Nissan can be approached to remedy the fault.

Also, there's a belief in the general population that Nissan will use only the best components in their cars and anything not branded by Nissan is inferior. You only have to look at suspension to know that's wrong. Nissan - like any other company - will purchase the best possible component that they can manage for the lowest price. This keeps the vehicle price down and their profits higher - never forget that Nissan is first and foremost a company responsible to its shareholders - looking after its customers is at least THIRD behind share dividends and maintaining the salaries and bonuses of the boys in charge.

The other issue that keeps the prices high is Nissan warranty. If you use non-genuine parts (and Nissan will happily tell you that) any non-genuine part - or fluid - will void your warranty. Even if the non-genuine fluid (as an example) is Caltex 10W40 Diesel motor oil and the genuine stuff came from the very same barrel but had a Nissan label put on the container (with the appropriate increase in price). There are people out there with warranties that they want to keep, so Nissan can keep gouging *cough* I mean asking a higher price for the components from these people. To keep it fair, they can't charge you LESS if your vehicle is out of warranty - so $400 for a side mirror is easy for them to ask.

The final thing in your particular situation: the Nissan service manual that their technicians work from (and they don't stray far from) will state quite clearly that for symptoms x and y, the first step is to change the fuel pump. Many of the staff that work at Nissan dealers aren't the highly-trained technicians they'd like you to believe - they are able to read, and to be honest in most cases that's all that's required. For most situations, the Nissan troubleshooting information is pretty good. I've used it myself, on numerous occasions (and why not - it was written by people that really DO know the car). Unfortunately for a small percentage of the time, it advocates a more expensive repair than may be necessary - as you've experienced. Replacing the fuel pump WOULD have fixed it - but it wasn't entirely necessary as you found out.

Hey, I just bought a '12 D40 and I had the same problem, luckily I have a 3 month warranty and they are fixing it for free

Wonder if because Nissan are paying, which option they go.
The $3000 option or the $300 option. I know which way I'd put my money
All the best with your repairs:redcool:

Because Nissan did it and it was under warranty they probably would have gone the cheaper way around it

Parts don't cost Nissan the same that they cost you, otherwise your car would be half a million dollars MSRP. Mechanic labour in Australia, on the other hand, is very expensive. Whatever is faster to fit is probably what gets fitted.

Hey Guys/Gals,

What is it with bloody Nissan trying to rip everyone off by attempting to get you to spend unnecessary coin on stuff that doesn't need replacing in the first place?

My recent example on my '08 D22.....

I had a fuel delivery issue which ended up being a sticky suction control valve on the fuel pump. (BIG thanks Mick from MS Engines in Vic for discovering that, cause it had me stumped!)

When ordering my new SCV, dip sh*t Nissan attempted to con me in to replacing the entire fuel pump - at around $3k for the pump only I should add - when all that needed replacing was the SCV which was $219.

Needless to say, after replacing the SCV there was no further issues and i'm the best part of $2600 better off.

I'd hate to imagine all of the poor buggers out there that have fallen for the "yeah but it could go as well" bullcrap that Nissan try and feed you.

Anyone else have any similar stories with these chuckle heads and spare parts?

When I went to get my scv nissan couldn't sell it to me, wasn't in their system, even showed me the computer. Nada

When I went to get my scv nissan couldn't sell it to me, wasn't in their system, even showed me the computer. Nada

Someone at your dealership doesn't know how to use their computer properly, or they know well enough to hide the results from you.

Try this thread. I'm sure I've seen a thread with a pic of one from eBay.

I ended up buying one from eBay Tony. Cheers.

I went to nissan to make sure I wasn't being ripped off, Needless to say nissan will sell the pump as one. No scv alone
their loss if you ask me, solves alot of problems

Nissan DO sell the SCV seperate, so whom ever told you that is either crap at their inventory system or are trying to upsell you the whole pump.

HOWEVER, at over $200 MORE than the eBay listed ones, it's not even remotely worth it.

Same goes for Boost Control Solenoids - a HIGH FAIL component (by their own words), but again over DOUBLE what you can buy online for..

Latest posts

Back