STX550 only does 180kph

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theoretically yes. However the power needed to push an object through the air increases with the cube of the velocity. Say a small car with small frontal area and good aerodynamics was cruising on a highway at 80 km/h it may only require only 7.5 kW to overcome air drag, but that same car at 160 km/h will require 60 kW. With a doubling of speed the drag force quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time would require eight times the power! Remember where talking a brick on four wheels here or maybe a slightly chiseled brick :)

It may be ECU limited but doubt it would go to much faster anyway.

It all gets a bit academic anyway, as stated the tyres are probably only good for 180 and on an un-dived road in this type of vehicle is risking it.

OMG :wristy::wristy::wristy::wristy::

I took my Nav for a test drive the other day offroad. Speedo was at 160Km/h and I was revving out at 4500rpm. Id say I would of been doing more 145km/h to allow for 10% wheel spin. I need to change my gearing or go to a 35" tire if I want to go faster.... I had more than enough power to get to 160 though

However the power needed to push an object through the air increases with the cube of the velocity. Say a small car with small frontal area and good aerodynamics was cruising on a highway at 80 km/h it may only require only 7.5 kW to overcome air drag, but that same car at 160 km/h will require 60 kW. With a doubling of speed the drag force quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time would require eight times the power!

Some good Wikipedia engineering there :rock::rock::rock:

In all fairness, there are only 3 or 4 sections of road between Tennant Creek & S.A. border that have unlimited speeds, the roads were wide, flat, straight & smooth! There was plenty of signage before any of the slight bends in the road. the rest of the N.T. is 130km or less. I had to have my eyes shut, lie back & 'try' to sleep (I couldn't handle watching the scenery going past that quick!). We DID chew through a LOT of fuel on that part of the trip! (Mrs O4-HUG)

Latest posts

Back