Need advice please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a forefront industries winch compatible intercooler kit for my 03 zd30 3L navara but I have a 80 series air box in and I can't fit it in. What have people done to fit it in? Any pics or advice would be good.
Cheers Steven

.... pull out the 80s airbox and refit the factory box.

As a matter of interest, whar is the size of the ic core? (excluding end tanks).

Not sure as I'm not home yet. I'll have a look later on tonight. Why do you say to take out the 80 series air box? Any reason. Besides It doesn't fit.

Yea i say take it out so it will fit.
Id say the ic will be more benefit than the airbox.
I didnt think it could be easily done.
Be interesting to see what rabbid comes up with.

Hi, I had to cut part of the fuel filter bracket off so i could mount the airbox back as far as possible and close to the guard as possible so its partially under the lip of the guard. Its a tight fit but once its in its like as if it was meant to work with the IC kit.

Rabbid I have a few questions. do you have a snorkel? How did you go with connect it. And is it worth the trouble?

Hey wes. I have pics in my garage, plus the one John lifted from the 80 series airbox thread, also some in the zd30 turbo upgrade thread but i think they are the same as the ones in my garage.
Yes I have a dealer fitted snorkel, i used a 3" silicon hose to fit the airbox to that.
The airbox is mounted as far back, as close to the guard, and as low as possible. The sediment catcher is no longer the lowest point, but it still catches all the sediment and water thanks to the cyclone action of the airbox.

Also used a joiner off a landcruiser and a 90 degree bend to connect the airbox to the turbo.
Didnt have to modify any of the intercooler kit (apart from the crappy hose clamps), and it fitted like it was meant to be. Just have to bend down the power steering cooler to fit the IC.

I just had a look at your pic. Nice and neat Well done. Can I as how did you fix the diesel filter to the wheel arch? And where did you fix the power steering cooler to?

Thanks wes.
I didnt move the fuel filter, i just cut off a bit that was protruding out and not doing anything - i think it was the bit the OEM air box bolted to.
The steering cooler, I just carefully massaged it to lay all the way down to the drivers side. fastened it down with some big zip ties and fastened some split fuel hose on anything that might rub.

Dont know if you saw these pics? They were hidden halfway through that turbo thread; http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=33511&page=7

Last edited:
Thanks for you help and confidence Rabbid chop I'll have another go when I have time. One more question is it worth the trouble? Did you notice much difference in performance wise. Fuel economy? Cheer

I think it would be simpler/neater to go back to the standard airbox and fit the forefront IC.

Thanks for you help and confidence Rabbid chop I'll have another go when I have time. One more question is it worth the trouble? Did you notice much difference in performance wise. Fuel economy? Cheer

Hey mate, I put the IC kit on while i still had the stock turbo and air box, and no i couldnt tell any difference in performance except I could now hear the noises my turbo was making in its death throws. Not saying its useless - just couldnt tell. EGTs went down a touch. It flows very well but doesnt cool thaaat much but has virtually no pressure drop either. I think it is worthwhile in conjunction with other breathing and tuning mods and at very least its a shrapnel catcher in case the compressor ever decides to let go.
Like Ben says, it might be an idea to put the stock airbox back if you do fit the kit, and then if you decide to put the 80's series in again it will probably be less daunting making it fit.

Last edited:
Rabbid with what other mods do you think it's worth it? I'm only going to put it in just in case the turbo goes. At this stage anyway. At the end of the day it's a 4wd not a drag car.

I don't really know Wes, I'm just going off the idea that the more things you do to improve intake (and exhaust) efficiency would translate to being able to squeeze a bit more out with a proper tune. Its all probably a bit of a fart in a high wind without the tune, but at the very least should translate to lower egts, cleaner burn, and a bit more zip?

Latest posts

Back