Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Electrical

Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 PM

My Mood:

OK Mate cheers i'll check it out.
Sponsored Links

Old 13-09-2018, 08:20 AM

My Mood:

Hey Tony,
So i ran a new earth from the Right side of the Acc pedal to the perforated casing of the Stereo. Did it fix it..... Not entirely. Is it better... yes i think so. The blinkers double beat every 5 or so blinks and the Vehicle had 2 very minor shunts in the 24km test drive. Do you have any other suggestions? Do you think getting a a BCM from a wrecker and having it flashed would help? Or just wasting money on that?

Old 14-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

There's a bolt that holds your dash in place ... ok, do you know how to pop the console around the stereo out? If you do, skip the next couple of paragraphs.

There's a little tray in the top of the dash. Pop the front UP then lift it out. Keep an eye on the tabs, they break. The stereo installers broke mine!

There are now 2 Philips head screws holding the console surround in. Remove them both. The plastic housing pulls forward towards you and unclips from around the base (no screws). Don't pull it too far, the air conditioning plugs are attached. You can swing it to the side or unplug everythnig (it won't hurt anything) and put it aside.

There are 4 screws holding the stereo in and there's a bodywork screw below. Just join a wire from one to the other. That's the stereo done.

Let's make sure about the BCM. There will be a plug on the side and pin 55 is the earth, but I can't find a diagram telling me which pin is #55. This wire should join another harness but will run to a earth point against the firewall, it looks like - the manual isn't clear.

If you can identify pin 55 on the BCM, connect that to earth, it will do the job.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 15-09-2018, 02:20 AM

My Mood:

Ok, So i have a service manual for this vehicle. I think i might have gotten the wrong earth. I used the one on the vertical plug nearest the driver. I tested it and im getting over 12V at the plug. I connected a second earth to the plug at that point but it did not fix it. Earthed the stereo to the chassie from behind the unit after removing the surround. Ten Meters down the road and the Blinkers failed. Had to switch off and back on again to restore them.

Old 15-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

I'd say the easy stuff has been tried. Might be time to visit a wrecker and get your hands on a BCM for this car. Be aware that the BCM carries the codes for your keys and your keys will need to be registered with the new BCM or they won't work.

Old 15-09-2018, 09:53 PM

My Mood:

Thanks for your help mate. I'll give that a go and see what happens. Really appreciate all you have done

Old 16-09-2018, 09:10 PM

My Mood:

So yesterday i made one last ditch to fix it and i think i have. I replaced the Main earth lead that earths the chasie and motor. I made a new lead, One to the chasie and one from the chasie to the motor. Made a second for some periferals and it seems to be working. Went for a 30k drive. Blinkers worked without any issues and the motor didn't shunt at all.

Old 17-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

So it was the main battery lead?

It's strange that it only affected the BCM-controlled items - it was an oddly specific fault.

Glad to hear it's working.

Old 17-09-2018, 09:13 PM

My Mood:

Yeah no issues last few days. IT lives again. What kind of ticked me to it was i sprayed some connector cleaner on the connection and it seemed a bit better for about half an hour. so i decided to rip it out and make a new one.