Looks like Electronic Rust Prevention is a con

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLA

Reaction score
Anyone had a close look at Electronic Rust Preventatives lately.

I know its been discussed before but:

By now everyone agrees that the electrolysis approach with zinc pad does not work for cars due to an incomplete circuit. For the metal to rust it can produce a small voltage. If this voltage is opposed by a battery then no rust. Can be used on steel buildings to prevent corrosion especially where ground contact.

Today's approach for motor vehicles is to place a number of aluminium blocks directly on the paint and apply a DC potential of around 300 volts. Some provide steady DC, other pulse. The explanation from there gets into black magic as the static charge goes sideways in all directions through the paint and prevents rust. This I doubt even though I paid almost $1,000 for one when I purchased the vehicle four years ago.

I have since asked many times to suppliers, "have you tested these devices"? It would seem trivial to setup two wheelbarrows (or whatever) out in the weather one with the device and one without and see what happens. Basic stuff. Nope never been done.

I remember a fisherman who had great success using one and after some years admitted that he was being paid to give this advice to the public that was not true.

There have been obvious con men in the game with devices that just connect to the battery only. Others also flash a LED as well. Some have a single sensor wire that daisy chains to all sensors and others have a dedicated wire exiting, one for each sensor.

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning NSW consumers not to waste their money buying computerised electronic corrosion inhibitors (CECI devices) for motor vehicles.
https://www.finance.nsw.gov.au/abou...st-bust-warning-re-car-rust-reduction-devices

In WA Consumer Protection has taken action to stop the sale of, and secure refunds for consumers for some devices.
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/annou...ibutors-car-rust-reduction-devices-ceci-units

Manufacturers of obvious dodgy brothers stuff have been shut down.
The rest are on notice pending further investigation. Don't throw it out yet you may be able to get your money back.

i think the holden dealer team still have some polarisers left from brocky`s days, lol. great driver but........ go 05 (((-;

It's always been a load of shit, I have never believed the claims nor felt the need to fit it. I hang onto cars when they are set up properly, all of mine have lived on the beach and islands with no rust problems. Cleaning and maintaining the car is the key.

Latest posts

Back