Rear 4 Link

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yer I welded them, there were some really good welds but the ones in tight spaces were average. Need a smaller MIG torch for these sort of jobs

Well I have made a bit of progress on the rear this weekend. I cut out the fish plate for the chassis brackets on Friday. Going to use 3mm plate about 120mm wide and 350mm long with tapered ends.

I tack welded one of the brackets in place but to clear the cab for the shock towers it has pushed the wheel base back to 127" which is too long IMO. The lower arms are 44" long. Im going to go back to my original plan and mount the shocks on the axle and use a more conventional 4 link. With 14" travel in the rear this will be more than enough for the types of courses we have in WA which are mostly flat paddocks.

This pic is the wheel base at 118" which is the same as my GU coil cab. The wheel base only has to be long enough for 37" treps (940mm dia) to clear the cab at full bump. If I run a longer wheel base it will put me at a disadvantage if I decide to race winch truck as the Nav will struggle to get around the tight corners.

Should see some sort of links by the end of the weekends. Wheel base is going to be somewhere between 116" - 120", lower links will be about 40 - 45". Im going to tack the fishplate and link brackets in tomoz and hopefully make the lowers on Thursday and uppers on Friday

Made some fish plate during the week, holes are 2" and the plate is 3mm thick

Back profile of the rear axle

Lower link brackets welded on

One of my better welds

Picked up a coil cab rear tank for bugger all today, will fit nicely at the back of the chassis and put some weight over the rear wheels. The navara pickup is a direct bolt up so that was a bonus!

I then set the bump stop height, bump cans are on their way from the US

And finally welded the fish plate in (not my best welding.......) The link brackets are as far back as I could get them. Long links will give me less axle warp

Lower link length from eye to eye is 1200mm. Giving me a wheel base of 118" and enough room to clear 37's if I want to do winch events. Hoping to finish the rest of the links tomorrow

Had a few setbacks over the weekend, 1) Tuff Truck was on so did nothing on Saturday, 2) was hungover Sunday so again no work, 3) the weld in bungs for the 1.25" heim joints are too big for the Nb50 XXS, heim joint bung is about 38.2mm and the ID for the NB50 is between 37.5 - 37 so I dropped the bungs off today to get machined to 37mm

On another note the link brackets are all burnt in!

Setting up the wheelbase (125") wit the Nb50 XXS lower links cut to 1050mm. Bit long for my liking but I would rather start long than short

Axle is sitting at 420mm from the ground which is about where it would sit with 33's on

Decided to cut 6" off the links so tube length is now at 900mm so about 1140mm eye to eye on the heim joints. This bought the axle back to about 50mm from the body, where I initially wanted it.

Bump cans are going to sit pretty low on the chassis, the links foul on the chassis rails pretty quick but I do have about 8" of up travel. Can gain more when I go to solid ally links

Thats about it really, hopefully ill make the last 2 links tomorrow then I can get started on the shock tower during the week

Made the 3rd link. Triangulation is looking really good. 4 Link calculator is giving me 140% anti squat and 8% on the roll axis angle. I have 6" of uptravel and 8" of downtravel atm. I have managed to lose on of the 1.25" heims so I need to order another one before I can finish the last link......

I used a 1mm copper washer to slightly increase the spacing of the brackets when welding them. It makes it so much easier to put the misalignment spacers in when assembling.

Here is a closer look at the links, 12mm wall thickness. They are overkill for what I will be doing but a good place to start. I plan on running 50mm solid 7075 Ally links eventually but these will do for now.

Hopefully the bump cans arrive this week so I can set them up. I will also tack the shock brackets in place and start planning the shock tower.

Tack welded the rear shock mounts in today to get some idea where the shock tower is going to sit. From chassis rail to eye of shock is 400mm so I think I will make the tower 450mm. Going to tack the coilover shock mounts on as well

I think Ill make the upper shock brackets first, then get the tower bent up. This way I can ensure the tower is the exact height and dimensions I need

Been working on the upper shock mounts over the last week or so. Started out with some 75x50x3mm RHS and welded some 6mm plate to the side then drilled some 5/8" holes for the shocks to bolt to. Eye to eye separation for the bypass and coilover is 190mm

As you can see the shock mounts on the axle are too close to the chassis rails. I moved them inwards another 40mm and then the shocks cleared it fine

New mounting position

I have a bit to finish on the drivers side and then hopefully I will get the shock hoops bent up later this week. Also my bump cans came today from King so another part of the puzzle to install.

Since the last update I have finished the drives side upper shock mount and my bump cans arrived from the US. I have made some additional bracing for them so they are not ripped from the chassis rails after taking a big hit.

I went on a notching site and managed to print out a scale cut out of the ellipse I needed to notch for the bracket. These brackets sit on a 45 degree angle. I then spent some time on the grinder and make 4 of these brackets. They aint perfect but they will do

Im still waiting on the heim joint to come from America so I can finish the last link before I set up the bump height

Well I finally finished the 4 link this week! New heim joint got here from American in 5 days, thats about the fastest shipping I've ever had. Had to cut a new length of Nb50 as the weld in bung was shorter than the other type I had. Was only 20mm longer but it makes a big difference as to how much thread is exposed.

Latest posts

Back