Custom made Exhaust manifold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one like this for sale on eBay at the moment but they used steam pipe. There is also an EGR delete plate welded to it.
Here is the link.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-D22-NAVARA-YD25-2-5-DIESEL-EXHAUST-TURBO-MANIFOLD-REPLACEMENT-EGR-BLOCK-/231909657571?hash=item35fee48be3:g:lWkAAOSwymxVPZoe

my god you couldn't get much cruder design if you tried.

log style works okish, but short extractor style can work better. however you need to have the room and turbo in the right position.
a real simple way to improve a log style is to have the turbo directly in line with a port. so at least one port gets a good shot down the turbo.

My fab skills are not good enough to sell, nor would i have the time to build them, maybe for mates thats about it.

my god you couldn't get much cruder design if you tried.

log style works okish, but short extractor style can work better. however you need to have the room and turbo in the right position.
a real simple way to improve a log style is to have the turbo directly in line with a port. so at least one port gets a good shot down the turbo.

Maybe the Formula One Mercedes Engineers got it wrong then;-)

Maybe the Formula One Mercedes Engineers got it wrong then;-)

not at all. it all about designing it to fit the application.
especially with F1 weight is a huge factor. i would bet the reduction in weight alone more than made up for the losses.

a lot of diesels, including performance diesels use log style. but if you have room there is a few tricks to get a bit more out of them without adding length (temp drop). hence why i mention short extractor style.

Getting interestingly off topic but yes you probably have a point. I would imagine that engine packaging would be into that mix to. Probably better aero around the engine cowling.

Getting interestingly off topic but yes you probably have a point. I would imagine that engine packaging would be into that mix to. Probably better aero around the engine cowling.

exactly. as you said they would have worked out it all out.

same applies to our utes, there is trade offs in the design.

Motorsport and light duty utes, the twin pinnacles of engineering design...

One has infinite dollars in lieu of kgs

The other has infinite kgs in lieu of dollars

There is an advantage of using tuned length headers on petrol engines as it smoothes out the exhaust pulses. On a diesel motor this is not such an issue and it is often better to use a log type as they are simple, save space and smoothing out the exhaust pulse is not needed, especially on a turbo diesel motor.

I'd have thought that in any turbocharged vehicle - petrol or diesel - a lengthy section of pipe before the turbocharger would cause the exhaust gases to cool a little which means they'll occupy less volume, have less energy and therefore not be able to drive the turbocharger as well.

It makes you think that the V9X power plant would benefit from having its single turbo removed and twins installed, with new exhaust manifolds made up and a new intake manifold as well. I notice that the YD25 intercooler is rather shallow and it's entirely possible to reorientate the intercooler to a longer-vertically unit and therefore duplicate it for the V9X.

V9X TT would be a weapon of a motor. Imagine the power it could make with a pair of properly sized VNT turbos.

I know the block is extremely strong and well built, the limiting factor would be the flow characteristics of the heads. The fuel system is capable of 1800Bar

I'd have thought that in any turbocharged vehicle - petrol or diesel - a lengthy section of pipe before the turbocharger would cause the exhaust gases to cool a little which means they'll occupy less volume, have less energy and therefore not be able to drive the turbocharger as well.
correct, but there is gains to be made because each pulse get a good push on the turbo and the reversion is in time and helps it along. pulses are in time and not hitting each other.
on a petrol that more than makes up for the looses due to gas expansion in the long length.
petrols have the advantage of a much hotter exhaust gas.

diesels run much cooler exhaust gas and they simply loose to much heat due to expansion to make it worth while, with the exception of all out race motors that may be tuned more aggressively and run hotter egt.

log manifolds tend to dampen out the pulses due to the pulses crashing into each other all over the show and you loose drive from the pulses. but small volumes means it retains heat well.
often see the turbo mounted directly inline with one port so turbo gets a hit from one pulse.

short extractor style where pipes are straight from exhaust port to turbo, but are unequal and are as short as possible. you get more push from each exhaust pulse, a bit of pulse crashing into each other as they are unequal length and the volume is a little bit more than a log.
better than a log manifold but has more space requirements.
more useful on a 4cyl or a v6 half, but not so good on a straight 6.

What would you do with the extra exhaust port on the ZD30? The Mercedes engine is a 90-degree V6 1.6L developing 560kW (limited to 15,000rpm).

Can't imagine it doing too well off-road, of course.

What would you do with the extra exhaust port on the ZD30? The Mercedes engine is a 90-degree V6 1.6L developing 560kW (limited to 15,000rpm).

Can't imagine it doing too well off-road, of course.

I was planning on just leaving the fourth port open, its still up on a formula one by about 750cc on three pots. Plus im not rev limited so i can run 20,000 rpm if i want.
Couldn't find one on ebay though so maybe some other time.

All silliness aside, are you changing turbo set ups Dilmar?

I'm undecided yet. My current setup makes amazing power above 2000rpm but below that we are having issues tuning the car. It is a little sluggish when you come out of a corner, the revs drop to say 1200 and it sort of goes into limp mode. We need it to spool harder so it pulls the car out of the corner.
We are going to try a few different things first before I go and chuck the compound system in the bin
But yeah the manifold was made to either change the current setup or to allow us to run a single VNT turbo

It's not an easy balance to find, and to develop more power (more boost) up high, you generally need more exhaust flowing (which you'll get from the higher RPM) so the arrangement for the turbine needs to cater for the higher flow rate. Once you cater for that, you compromise on the lower RPM configuration. The VNT is supposed to cater for that to some extent but as we've seen in the D40, it's not even close to perfect. Hope yours works better!

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-efr/borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo.html
These things make big boost fast and are bullet proof.
Not sure if its too big or too small for your application, but check out the compressor map looks like it should make EASY 300 at the engine. There is a V-band footprint in IWG too which would be pretty sexy.
I can put you onto a guy in the states for cheaper than that^ if you ever decide to go that way.

Last edited:
Im just flogging this because they really are the duck's knutz. Bearings are like 4x the size of garret. Gamma Ti turbine wheel and shaft is half the weight of inconel.
The spool up and transient response is unparralelled. The stainless turbine housings are exquisitely beautiful in person on the IWG models. Ive got EWG which arent finnished to the same standard but i dont care.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot/index.html
Check out the match-bot. I would be really interested to see if the 6258 would be viable. I'm not sure how to convert it to diesel. Its telling me the turbo is too small but I'm pretty sure its probably too big.
Have a play..

Latest posts

Back