Steering wheel swap On Thai RX.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattWij

Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking for a bit but finally decided to sign up.

Hopefully i'm not repeating an existing question. Search didn't find anything.

Anyway, I have a RX Spec Thai built D40 (MNT Vin) with March 2010 build. I bought her a few months ago since she seemed nice for the coin(altho I'm currently being bitten by rattling chain on start up).

ANYWAY
The only thing I dont have in this car which I am really missing, is cruise control.

So I have 2 questions:

I am looking at a steering wheel from a 2012 D40, are there any differences between the earlier and later models? (My D40 is an early 2010 so misses out on the update) Can I just bolt them in without issues?

2nd question - Either way, will bolting on steering wheel controls from another model add working cruise control? Assuming the wiring is hopefully there. I know on some cars this is the case.

Thanks for any help!

All you need are the controls from the other steering wheel. The silver part with the controls is held in with one screw.

Before you start check by you brake light switch at the pedal and see if you have a extra brown connector. Is you Navara automatic or manual?

I just installed audio an cruise control in my Thai Navara LE model so I might be able to help you.

Last edited:
Cheers dpredster,

Its an Auto, I'll take a look for the wire. I ended up buying a Leather wheel in really good condition with both audio and cruse buttons for $100, cheap considering worse ones cost more.

I'll likely be putting it in next weekend if the postal service is quick.

That's great. Unfortunately I had to buy the switches.

If you have the the brown harness by the brake pedal the only other thing you would need to get the cruise control working is a cruise control release switch like this.

uploadfromtaptalk1446209458173.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it does. The switch you need is already there. It's the top one.

All that's left is installing the steering wheel and you should be good.

Well the new steering wheel was delivered incredibly fast! Unfortunately though, Looks like the later models steering wheels are not the same.

The airbag does not come off the same way, there may be other differences but I didn't even bother taking mine off to check yet. I'll probably take a look tomorrow to see if I can at least move the controls over. A little disappointing though since the new wheel is in really nice condition and is a leather one not Vinyl.

2 holes in the side on my current wheel:

There is 1 hole in the bottom for the newer ones:

Too, bad.. It's a nice wheel,, :(

The newer wheel has come off a Spanish car, I'd say. It's the same as mine except for the stereo controls. Oh, and it has so much more paint than mine!

Some Success!

I think you are right Old.Tony, but I did have some success.

Through stupidity I learned a few things too:

1* Don't be an idiot and install everything quickly, only to discover you put the wheel back on and didn't align it properly. This is painful because you need to jab each side of the wheel with screwdrivers to push in clips, while a second person pulls off the airbag... and my mum was not willing to help on the second go. Hahah, so now I have to put up with a wonky wheel until I can rope in a mate.

2* Do not re-connect the battery while the airbag is out so you can turn on the interior lights... Otherwise you will trigger your airbag warning light. This is easy enough to fix tho. If you google "D40 airbag light reset" there is a simple fix though. which worked fine for me.

3* Don't lose the little plastic thingys that cover the holes in the back of the steering wheel...

Other than those learnings, It appears the main difference in the wheels is the airbag unit and the way it attaches to the steering wheel. Everything else appears the same and I was able to transfer all the controls from the Spanish wheel over to mine without problems.

All the electrical connectors are the same, except the connector for the horn, which is a spade terminal in the Thai and a slightly larger spade terminal on the Spanish, nothing a little bending cant fix.

There is a single connector on the wiring which did not have a corresponding connector on my steering column. I suspect this is probably for the back light? Not sure if it even has a back light, but the buttons stay dark when the lights are on. I can probably fix that without much work though.

But I can confirm I have working cruise now! Audio buttons I cant confirm, since I have an aftermarket head unit, you supposedly can program the steering wheel controls to work with my head unit, but a full 30 seconds of trying was fruitless :p

It looks much better now too! To bad I don't have leather tough... that would have been nice...

Last edited:
Good job.

To get the audio controls working with your aftermarket head unit you can use
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface.

It's a two wire hookup to the steering wheel control ant it plugs right into the head unit .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back