MAFS Cleanup With Pics

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Time to do it again, so I took pictures. Let's clean our MAFS the right way!

Tools needed:

* 7mm socket wrench
* Can of MAFS cleaner or electrical solvent
* Clean cloth, microfibre is good

Steps involved:

1) Locate the MAFS. Here 'tis, in the back of the air pipe leaving the air filter box.

attachment.php

2. Undo the 2 bolts holding it in place with a 7mm socket.

attachment.php

3. Carefully withdraw the sensor taking care not to bash it on anything. You might need to move the fuse box to the side a little to extract it.

attachment.php

4. Inspect the MAFS opening - you'll see some components and wires inside. Do NOT EVER insert anything in this hole. In your hands is a $400 component.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20161204_071815-resized.jpg
    20161204_071815-resized.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 756
  • 20161204_071901-resized.jpg
    20161204_071901-resized.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 750
  • 20161204_072100-resized.jpg
    20161204_072100-resized.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 769
  • 20161204_072139-resized.jpg
    20161204_072139-resized.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 736
Step 5: Remove the electrical connector so that you can get it out where you can clean it. In this picture is the can of solvent I used (Jaycar, $11.50)

attachment.php

Step 6: Inspect the seal. At this point in the air intake, the engine should have filtered air with no contaminents - make sure your seal is intact and clean so that it doesn't allow foreign particles to enter here!

attachment.php

Step 7: Having cleaned it up (microfibre cloth) it's ready to go back in

attachment.php

Step 8: Reinsert the MAFS and reconnect its electrical connector

attachment.php

Job complete! Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20161204_072212-resized.jpg
    20161204_072212-resized.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 732
  • 20161204_072358-resized.jpg
    20161204_072358-resized.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 716
  • 20161204_072559-resized.jpg
    20161204_072559-resized.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 707
  • 20161204_072629-resized.jpg
    20161204_072629-resized.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 716
Good job as usual Tony, I'd like to add that there is an understanding in the bush that it's ok to use the following in an emergency. Vodka, Scotch and Metho, it's been proven that the Ethanol will destroy the resistors very quickly. I fired off an e/mail to a well known 4wd mag a few years ago after reading the editors comments suggesting it was fine to use. I keep a can of Liquid Moly Maf cleaner in the toolbox for $15 vrs $600 damage in the scrub. Just thought I'd share.
Cheers

Good post Tony. I did mine the today and certainly made a difference, I just used electrical contact cleaner from Supercheap Auto cleaned it fine and micro cloth as Tony said. A heap of dirty fluid came out of it, but clean fluid after a few more good sprays, a shake and a wipe down. 237,000 on clock and doesn't look like it was ever done. I did spoke with a mate today who's a mechanic and he said I should spray every 5000K under normal conditions. He said I should not run a K and N filter or other oil based filters in my car as the oil from the filter will eventually get pulled through and then slightly coats the MAF sensor and then it collects dust and gets dirty rather quickly.
Just a thought.
Regards

The K&N filter - if overoiled (done properly it won't shed oil) - can cause problems but it's worse than you think.

The MAFS works by passing a certain amount of current through a specific sized wire, causing the wire to heat up at an expected rate which is measurable by monitoring the voltage on the other side. As air flows over the wire, it cools, and the amount of cooling obviously influences the voltage - thus you can work out how much air has flowed past the wire and can then assume that a similar passage of air has moved through the intake, giving you a very good idea how much air is heading in to the engine, allowing you to meter the fuel much more accurately.

When oil lands on the wire and the wire heats up, it burns the oil, leaving a film of hard carbon compound coating the wire. Eventually (and not too slowly either) this build-up changes the thermal characteristics of the wire thus altering the output, giving the ECU the wrong information about the quantity of air entering the engine.

15 ways to skin a cat ... I completely remove the airbox lid with MAF intact so I can clean it all on a bench.

Good write up Tony.

Good job as usual Tony, I'd like to add that there is an understanding in the bush that it's ok to use the following in an emergency. Vodka, Scotch and Metho, it's been proven that the Ethanol will destroy the resistors very quickly. I fired off an e/mail to a well known 4wd mag a few years ago after reading the editors comments suggesting it was fine to use. I keep a can of Liquid Moly Maf cleaner in the toolbox for $15 vrs $600 damage in the scrub. Just thought I'd share.
Cheers
And if all else fails and you are still stuck, you can drink the rest of the vodka and scotch hahaha

Thanks for the info on over oiling the K and N filter Tony and the explanation on how the MAF works, because I had no idea.
Regards
Dave

Latest posts

Back