Disable TC and Torsen diff

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbid-chop

Reaction score
Not necessarily Navara related, but thinking this year I might get a new work ute, in 2wd this time. But would like to disable the electronic nannies and put an LSD in, and possibly suspension work (if not lower, then heavier springs and better shocks) although there seems to be absolutely no aftermarket for the 2wds.
Is it doable? Since i spend so much time in the drivers seat it might as well be a driver's car. I'd like to be able to enjoy it and actually enjoy controlling the ute. They've all got good power and 6-speed 'boxes, and stupid torque is only a re-map away.
Not sure what id be getting - probably anything but the 'Lux unless they change their pricing. Its going to be a CC tray lowrider diesel manual which ever one i get.
Any tips on which ones are more viable for what i want to do and whether its doable?
Let the flaming begin - all input welcome.

It'll probably be a Dmax. Anyone know how i can go about finding a Detroit Truetrac (or similar) diff for something like that?

i didn't see dmax in the truetrac listings.
they don't do a lot of jap vehicles except for toyota who used to have the rights for it.
there is a UK manufactured torsen diff but last time i looked they only did cars.
see if you can find what model diff they use.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll make some inquiries. Also as to the stability controls on these vehicles, do you think it would be possible to hack the electronics to be able to say turn off or play around with TC, ABS and SC separately? Dial them around as conditions are needed?
Might have to make some calls at a couple of diff places and tuners and see what they reckon..

a lot of them you can turn off TC. theres usually a button for it.
not sure about the others. i think stability control stays on.

have heard of people yanking the abs fuse which disables it all. but no idea what problems that could create.

For a 4WD it'll create problems (no 4WD!) but for a 2WD like Rabbid is after, the worst it will do is kill the speedo (speed info on the Navara D40 is gathered from the ABS sensors and I'm assuming that Nissan didn't invent that particular wheel).

Traction control is based on ABS data too, as is ESC (although ESC may also use accelerometers). Killing the ABS ought to kill MOST of the fancy nanny gear, I'd imagine.

Thats food for thought- that it might affect a bunch of other things. Surely the ecuand whatever other systems are in place will still pick up the sensor info if you disabled the TCS? Do you end up with idiot lights on the dash as well?

This is why im so reluctant to part with my old d22..

From my understanding of the new vehicles, turning off the TCS via the switch provided doesn't turn it off, it just dials it down. I heard one person with a STX550 complaining that even with the TCS off, it still engaged it when things got really wild.

Although, truth be told, I've seen an STX550 doing some very impressive circle work. Didn't sound anywhere near as good as ScottyBobcat's V8-powered D22, but otherwise didn't seem to mind swinging its ass around.

Latest posts

Back