Blow by?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustStock..

Reaction score
Hey lads, so after I've replaced my turbo, clutch and got a roady for my truck, I noticed an oil leak at the inlet side of my turbo, so I traced it back found a fair bit of oil in the pcv tube dripping into my airbox, I did a bit of googling Which led me to check the oil cap for blow by, seems to be a fair bit of air getting past the rings in the ole girl and I don't know if it is too much or just acceptable for the age of the engine 258xxx. Is she due to pop?
I also can hear a slight droning noise I suppose.
I'm freaking out!!
Can someone just run out and check their ute for me, if I unscrew the oil cap and leave it in the hole it dances around like a uni student with a massive hecs debt.
Any advice to ease my mind would be awesome.

Blow by increases because the cylinder bores are scored or worn, or because the piston rings are worn or gummed into place.

You could try an additive (or two). You might try an engine flush to remove laquers and sludge, do an oil change then a ring sealer (which ungums rings and helps them seal against the cylinder wall).

The purists' way (and aguably, the best way) is to pull the block, hone the bore, fit oversized pistons with new rings (don't forget to misalign the ring gaps) and reassemble. If you're going that far, you may as well replace the main bearings, rebuild the oil pump, scrub the water jacket, all the stuff you need to do to bring the engine back to nearly new condition.

The difference is cost. Mechanic in a bottle, or mechanic on the clock?

I only really can afford the mechanic in a can option, I ran some liquimoly engine restore through and it seemed to clean it out pretty well,
ring sealer in a can would be great but I'm thinking it's just snake oil. There's some called certech it claims to have nanotechnology which recoat the metal with ceramic coating to fill the gaps but it's a big claim and quite pricey.. I was told to run a thicker oil but any other suggestions would be great

Witch Doctors Advice!

Heads up please!
Read this carefully, I don't like it, but I have tried it and at least you might get lucky,

1. Drop three Quarters of your Engine oil,
2. Top up remaining oil with "Flushing Oil",
3. Start it and let her gently but, "fast Idle" for about Twenty Minutes,
4. Turn her off, drop the "Flushing Oil out" and remove the "oil Filter"'
5. Leave Draining for at least an hour,
6. Replace new Oil or maybe one grade higher, along with new Filter,
7. Now carefully Roadtest the Lady but gently, no "Houning" required
Remember, this is a "Which/Doctors" Testing, but will certainly give you a definet
direction to move in!
8. Best of luck in what you do, a lot of us would like too read your results

All the best,
highway man !:deadhorse2:

d22's (zd30) tend to show more blowby than there really is due to the chain cavity and cap location. also diesels normally have lots of blowby at idle anyway.
also common for them to blow oil out the breather, especially if overfilled (which is common), which coats the turbo in oil. hence why catch cans are fairly commonly fitted.

unless there is other issues, so far its looking fairly normal.

Latest posts

Back