EGR/Butterfly Mod Super Thread

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just did this on mine and it does make a small difference to torque.

Last edited:
At the risk of duplicating an entry i thought i would put this on the EGR super thread.

Sorry if this is not the done thing, but For anyone interested i found a perfect (i Hope) $7 plate in bunnings,

I have just made it with a pair of tin snips and a drill. 30 mins all in. I had a 3" exhaust fitted b4 the mod but still noticed the difference, worth doing....

Slots perfectly in place
sugammadex-albums-egr-blocking-plate-picture1019-7-bunnings-store-full-stainless-steel-quick-steel-wool-take-paint-off.jpg

sugammadex-albums-egr-blocking-plate-picture1018-egr-thickness.jpg

sugammadex-albums-egr-blocking-plate-picture1017-outline.jpg

sugammadex-albums-egr-blocking-plate-picture1014-pilot-hole-drill-voila.jpg

I hope some of you may find this useful, more pictures in my profile album

Last edited:
Ok did a trip to Bright & back and got 8.85L/100Km. Roughly 1/2 a litre better than normal but I put that down to the fact that was all highway/country driving and no real traffic at all rather than the EGR mod.

Oh and yes Dave, nanna (I) was driving :big_smile:

i started to do this mod, only to realise that the previous owner had installed a blanking plate on the inlet manifold. but hadnt made any alterations to the vac lines. I have now made the alterations and its a noticable improvement on power.

ive done it and my fuel consumption has gone up 3-4lts/100ks

details please !

what fuel consumption you where getting, what your getting now. how you measure it, what speed do you drive at (be honest now!) and any other mods done to engine.

was using 10lts/100ks now 13-14lts/100ks. only other mod is catch can

speeds please and how you measured fuel usage.

speed is important as i need to know what rpm range your driving at.
and need to check that your fuel calcs are correct. lost count of the amount of people who get it wrong.

the egr mod does increase air usage so any problem with things like dirty air filters, air pickups, high air temps, turbo efficiency, can cause extra fuel usage.
also check the vac hoses are done correctly.

i've only heard of one other that had big change in fuel usage due to egr mod, but his air intake was right behind the turbo outlet pipe meaning he was sucking in very hot air.

Ok, I've just done this mod, it's so simple, and reasonably quick (10 minutes?) to do once you've got the blanking plate.

And I noticed the difference straight away under my right boot. Earlier to boost and 1st gear actually feels pretty good.

Next up is the 80 series airbox, intercooler, body lift, chip.... (the list continues...)

I'm going to do this mod when i get home on Wednesday. Seems pretty simple. You've got pretty similar wishlist as me Joshman! I'm trying to source an 80 series airbox now... not easy. I got quoted $285 from CQ Cruisers in Rockhampton haha. Naturally i told them i'll keep looking. And yes, that was second hand!

Yeah, I know the feeling! I havent started trying to source an airbox yet, a catch can might be the next immediate thing though!

For your blanking plate, I just went to bunnings, and got a stainless steel letterbox sign. It's about 2.5mm think and didn't take too long to cut out! Reasonably cheap too.

I know i know ...search....read the threads.. I have just gone through this whole thread and a few of the other egr threads and can't figure out what my mechanic was warning me about..... Apparently the egr is set up to help cool the zd30 and told me not to do the mod.... Nearly everyone on here has it done.... I have the plates( have done for a while thanks to Matt and Dave.... Cheers) Do I need to put a pyro metre on to keep an eye on temps or forget what the mechanic said and follow the rest of the nav family! Sorry in advance for bringing this bad boy up again... Hopefully doesn't start a flood of questions. :(

hot egr doesn't cool an engine, find a decent mechanic.
think about this, the hottest temps are at full throttle ie max fuel, at which the ecu turns OFF the egr.

That's what I thought.... Thanks tweak'e forget I brought this up and doubted what o many have done before me.....

What Tweake said. Mine runs about 50-100C cooler with having the EGR blocked off.

The hottest I have seen mine is 480C and thats flogging it to see how hot I can get it to run.

QD32 Turbo egr Mod

hey guys hows everyone going, does anyone have any info on doing egr to the QD32
Cheers, Cole

Latest posts

Back