GPS Explodes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy the Kid

Reaction score
Scary if you leave your GPS in the car in the sun.
This came from Ford.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 277
I would have to question what electrical component in a gps would be volatile enough to cause such an "explosion". It looks like an electrical fire to me.

I would have thought it could only happen while driving...assuming the 12v ciggy socket is only live while driving the battery needs a circuit failure to cook like that

I would have thought it could only happen while driving...assuming the 12v ciggy socket is only live while driving the battery needs a circuit failure to cook like that

Generally correct, they have to be actively charging to suffer thermal runaway (increase in temp decreases resistance, drop in resistance increases current flow, increased current increases temp, etc etc). I have a cig socket on my dash that I have wired up to a switch so it can be powered when the car is off, just have to remember to switch it off when stopped.

A lot of newer cars have sockets that always provide power, as they are going away from having ciggy lighters in cars to just power sockets. If they had left it plugged in and it was a decently hot day then I could see how this could happen. I wouldn't think it would happen while driving as it would have to take a lot of heat to cause that to happen and you wouldn't be able to drive with the interior temperature that hot.....

Looks like a fire to me. That was quite possibly been extinguished. Somethings gone dead short.

Possibly a US Explorer or simialr. Those things have inverter for mains outlets in the car to. Wonder if had something to do with that as it appears the the in car entertainment/GPS is still mostly intact.

Im sure i have seen something similar with leaving a mobile phone on the dash on a hot day.

It gets bloody hot, battery explodes and starts a fire.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back