stx550 intercooler failure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another :(

Guys....jUst discovered the same swelling of the top tube on my STX Blackline :(

Has anyone seen a replacement or recommend somebody in Perth? I was supposed to be towing the boat up north next week...

Inter cooler replaced under warranty. No questions re Stienbauer or piping modification.
Couldn't get my hands on the failed unit as I wanted the tanks....have ordered new fins to fit onto existing tanks before I wind up the chip ;)
It definitely over fuels at about 50% on the chip on take off. If anyone has a busted tank for the V9X in Perth I would love to take it off your hands....

Installed xrox bar on my 550 few weeks back noticed two oil patches on bottom corners of my intercooler. Car is going in for 50k service next week home from work. hope its replaced...

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmp_20131113_0152571728038569.jpg
    tmp_20131113_0152571728038569.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 797
Hey mate,

Out of interest how long does it take to remove/refit the front bar? And how was the Xrox to fit?

Rich

Hey Rich. The bar is extremely easy to remove and install and the fitting of the xrox bar was a breeze to do. One thing i will say as has everyone i know with the xrox. Go 50mm not the 40mm they suggest in the instructions when cutting the bumper.

Had my Nav serviced today - bugger - interccoler leaking at the same corner as described in other posts.
Car has done 120,000kms - I'm going to give Nissan a call about a "Good will" fix - but I won't hold my breath......:mad:

Intercooler Update
Nissan have replaced my intercooler last Monday - yay.
Thankfully Nissan Aus. came to the party with a "good will" part payment,
also the dealer I went to was very sympathetic and discounted the price of the part and the labour. (I removed/refitted the bulbar to save them time).
So overall out of pocket was $924.45 - better than $2k.
Thankyou Nissan - Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 139
At 50K my intercooler is also black in the corners and leaking. Took it to Nissan and they will cover the new intercooler under warrantee but not labour to remove ARB bulbar and bash plates.They want additional money or for me to remove . What do you guys think I should do.?

I can do it but i's a bit of work.

-

I can't disagree with Ben. The intercooler didn't fail because of the bull bar.

However - and this is something we should all bear in mind - if we put obstacles in the way of getting to a part that they're going to replace for free, it would be fair if we paid for the removal (and reinstallation) of those obstacles.

My question is though - is the bullbar in the way? The bash plate might be, but I doubt the bar is.

I agree tony. I have a arb bar on my d40 and i cant see why I could not undo my spot light plugs, remove the grill and get to the intercooler.... The cooler ain't of great size.... IM i wrong?

Bullbar needs to come off - you won't get intercooler out through the grill opening. There is a picture in post number 50 with ARB bar removed . I d like to see someone get to it without removing the bar.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I actually started this thread....when my was replaced there was not even a mention of removing my bullbar. As far as Im aware the bar stayed on the car.

My intercooler is getting replaced this week under warranty too coz of a split and it has an oil leak underneath where the split is. There must be a fair bit of oil in there for it to be leaking out. Obviously blow by coming through the turbo. Maybe she might be getting turbo replacement too. Anyone else had this much of an oil leak?? Check under the passenger side of car on top of bash plate just below intercooler.

Gday Guys,

Got almost to 90000kms before the intercooler decided to start leaking oil. No noticeable loss in performance. Fuel economy is around 10ltrs per 100,

I noticed a couple of drips on the driveway, stuck the head under and oil on the bottom of the bashplate and carrying on the front diff. Took a picture of the intercooler and the lower right hand side was covered in oil.

Lowlyf did a new intercooler fix your problems or was a new turbo required also ? What was the explanation of the oil in the intake ?

Oil in the intake is actually normal - comes from the crankcase breather, also called PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). There's a hose that goes from the top of the camshaft covers to the air intake just before the turbocharger. Blowby passes the piston rings, heats the oil creating a little vapour. This vapour and the exhaust gas pass out through the PCV into the intake and there's your source. Reduce it (you can't stop it) by fitting a catch can.

If it's visibly leaking, you have a boost leak - possibly an overtightened hose clamp, or a split in the hose.

Hi has any one else had an issue with the intercooler on their 3ltr v6 diesel? I was looking over my new toy today and noticed the intercooler top tube has expanded like a balloon. No hoses were off and I havent heard anything abnormal while driving it.

I used to sell truck intercoolers and when we saw something like this it was thought to have been from faulty internal baffling...although it is hard to fault find with a grinder.

the car only has 5500kms and runs well albeit not as grunty as I thought it should be for the claimed power and torque

please excuse the upside down phone picture...it was a mission just to get the picture

I got my intercooler replaced and upgraded with a high flow one, they used existing tanks and upgraded the hot & cold pipes. Got a extra 40HP, currently with a Xforce 3 inch exhaust & rmap getting 750nm tourgue at the fly wheel & 272 hp rear wheels.

Latest posts

Back