Noisy yd25

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradm84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have done a few searches of the forum and there is plenty of info of startup noise in these motors but haven't found much on the sort of noise I am getting in my 2009 d22.

I bought the car in August last year and all was good until about the time of its 80000k service in November.

Since then the motor has been a bit noisier and rough sounding all through the rev range but especially around the 2000-2500rpm range. It makes all the same noises it always has just a louder version. The sound kind of reminds me of an older petrol engine being laboured up a hill, you know the pinging sound, mixed with noisy lifter sound...

I know they're not the quietest diesels around, I just know its gotten noisier progressively since November.

At that service I put in Nulon 15w40 mineral oil (not sure what was in it before), changed fuel and oil filters (had aftermarket brands in it, I changed to genuine Nissan), blocked egr pipe, changed belts (still had original Nissan ones on it) plus all the other items on the 80k service (its a fairly big service that one).

Since that service I gave it a minor service, just oil change etc...

I'm wondering if its the type/brand of oil making it louder? I've noticed a lot of guys using penrite on here, maybe could try that next time.

The other two things I was thinking was checking the timing chain or that the injectors might be getting noisier?

I've put some two stroke oil in the fuel this tank to see if it helps with injector noise and so far after 100k's it hasn't made it quieter but has changed the pitch of the noise a little.

Just to be clear though, I am not getting a startup rattle in mine, it seems to be quite fine at idle, even when starting cold after sitting for a few days. Just noisy while driving...

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks heaps

Also will say that the fuel economy hasn't really changed and it still seems to have the same power etc as it always has...

I run full synthetic in mine 10-40 nulon along with their additive. The dealer previuosly used 15-40 semi synthetic valvoline. You might try some diesel injector cleaner additive like liqui moly or nulon's offering. if you want to go the extra step there is always the liqui moly diesel purge. there is a sticky for the diesel purge process.

My d40 yd motor gets a bit rattly every so often.around the midrange(petrol labouring noises).i find if it turn off my chips (irrelevant to you) its gets better and my next step is to perform a fuel pump relearn/reset..this can be done by either pulling the pos terminal off the battery and turning on the lights for a bit to drain all residule power from the nav.from there you need to refit pos terminal and restart the nav and go for a 30km drive.at a very normal pace.i always find my engine quietens down after this...
There is another way of doing a fuel pump relearn with the ing key and series of accelorator pushes..

Before this mine is always smooth as silk after 3000rpm...just under that its has some noises....kinda like a toyata.😆

My d40 yd motor gets a bit rattly every so often.around the midrange(petrol labouring noises).i find if it turn off my chips (irrelevant to you) its gets better and my next step is to perform a fuel pump relearn/reset..this can be done by either pulling the pos terminal off the battery and turning on the lights for a bit to drain all residule power from the nav.from there you need to refit pos terminal and restart the nav and go for a 30km drive.at a very normal pace.i always find my engine quietens down after this...
There is another way of doing a fuel pump relearn with the ing key and series of accelorator pushes..
Thanks, yeah I might try do the reset first, then look into changing the type of oil to a 10 or 5w grade... Also might check to see if I've got any leaks in the egr from when I put the blank plate in...

Has anyone had issues with exhaust manifold cracking or warping and causing noise in these engines? Also wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with the timing chain failing or near failing on a d22?

did you only block the egg at last service? if so it could be that. mine got a bit noisier after i blocked the egg kinda like your saying.

did you only block the egg at last service? if so it could be that. mine got a bit noisier after i blocked the egg kinda like your saying.
Hey mate, yeah I blocked it on the 80k service, right around the time it got noisier... Do you think it's something to do with the egr? I'd be interested in pulling my blanking plate temporarily out to see if the noise returns to normal...

Has anyone had issues with exhaust manifold cracking or warping and causing noise in these engines? Also wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with the timing chain failing or near failing on a d22?

My mates 2009 d22 had a warped exhaust manifold not long after he bought it, it was fixed under warranty.

My mates 2009 d22 had a warped exhaust manifold not long after he bought it, it was fixed under warranty.
Hey mate, do you remember what symptoms he had? Noisy at all?

Only asking about the manifold because I had an older v6 pathfinder with the exhaust header having a small crack that caused a pretty decent ticking noise while driving... Apparently with those motors it was pretty common, was wondering if it is common on these yd25's or not...

Just did a diesel purge with the liqui-moly product after seeing the write up by rustynav. It seems to have fixed the knocking sound. It nows revs smooth and clean and almost no diesel clatter. I'm stoked with it cause its now quieter than it has ever been. All for $30 (including purge fluid and hoses, clamps etc...) And an hour of time. Camo, you put it well, sounded like a Toyota before, but not anymore :)

Good to hear mate...did u do a pump reset also?
I did do one the other day and it didn't help much, but the injectors were dirty anyway... I was going to do it this afternoon again but forgot... I'll do it again in the morning

Just an update on my engine noises.

So a few days ago I took my egr blank plate out and the noises I was having slightly reduced but the engine was still very noisy. So I went about doing the diesel purge and the engine became very nice and quiet as stated above.
This morning I remembered I had the egr blank plate out so I threw it back in and the engine became slightly noisy again but nowhere near like it was. I took the egr plate back out and all is good again.

So in my case it seems I had two things causing similar noises. The injectors were very noisy and the blank plate added slight noise on top of that.

At this stage I don't have the egr blocked and the motor feels to be running better than ever, very smooth, revs cleanly and pulls better uphill.

My question is, does anyone know how the egr works and what could cause it to create extra clattering noise? I had the plate installed in the closest spot to the valve itself, is one of the other locations better. And lastly should I have used some gasket sealant? Maybe it had a leak with the blank plate in...

The egr pipe itself doesnt have a very small crack in it does it.....thwy have been known to crack here and there....im thinking with the blank in it its getting a bit extra pressure and leaking...thus creating the noise...long shot really tho.
I personally got rid or my entire egr pipe,blanked and removed the injector pipe in the inlet manifold and removed the egr cooler hoses...seen too many horror stories of the coolant leaking out of the egr cooler and the nav boiling and cracking the head...not keen on that and i hate egr anyhoo...no man or machine should have to feed off exhause gas....its a waste product.

Latest posts

Back