D22 Handling issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fzrr

Reaction score
Hi all

Over the last month the handling on my D22 has been getting bad. Best way I can describe it is it feels like my tires are flat. On sharp corners it feels like the tire is rolling off the rim and causing more body roll and then snapping back as you straighten.

Jacked up the front end and found plenty of movement 9-3 o'clock and replaced the draglink and also the tie rods 2 days ago and thought that would be the end of it. But the handling still doesn't feel like it used to.

Ute has a 2inch Dobinson lift and 265/75/16 MTZ's running at 38psi. All the bushings on the rear leafs were all replaced a couple months ago and Bilstein shocks were also thrown in the rear.

What should I be looking at next? Been to a couple alignment and steering shops and and they've said everything in the front end looks good.

D22 were known to have dodgy body mounts, might want to check them. Can't think of anything else.

D22 were known to have dodgy body mounts, might want to check them. Can't think of anything else.

He said in a previous post that he's already had them replaced twice under warranty :/ they are probably buggered again cause Nissan probably has an orangutang with a pipe wrench working on them, Some Nissan dealerships are complete fuc****s, when my crank angle sensor died on the vg they said they would need the truck for 2 weeks..then they sent me an SMS advertising the d40 sale! They also never told me my stock exhaust manifolds were both cracked (common on the vg)..I put it into to my works truck mechanics and had it back in two days, good as new...wankers

Last edited:
Yep mine failed 4 times, on the 4th time under wty I replaced them at my own expense. Apparently there was a faulty batch of rubber over a 4 year period.

Looks like it's the steering box. Got way to much free play in the steering wheel and I've adjusted it as far as it can go. Got told by one place that reconditions them that there is an adjuster on the inside that can come loose but they won't know until they open it up for $885.

So i'm just going to get a cheap second hand one and see if that fixes the problem.

Looks like it's the steering box. Got way to much free play in the steering wheel and I've adjusted it as far as it can go. Got told by one place that reconditions them that there is an adjuster on the inside that can come loose but they won't know until they open it up for $885.

So i'm just going to get a cheap second hand one and see if that fixes the problem.

Hey mate,

Just wondering how you went with this?

I have a 2011 D22 and i have a lot of play with my steering. I was just about to buy a ToughDog Steering Damper but was reading through the forum and saw some people suggesting they just mask the issue and arn't really required.

So interested to see if the work on the box fixed it?

You can get to the adjuster yourself it is just on top of the box. I think you have to remove the cap on top and under it is an adjustment screw. Easiest to get to it through the wheel arch or take the battery out

I ended up readjusting the steering box again myself and it's a bit better. A lot less movement in the wheel when you're standing still and shake it side to side.

It still doesn't handle like it did 20k ago and I just replaced all the dobinson shocks for Bilsteins. I have a feeling the torsion bars just aren't as stiff anymore so I'm getting way more body roll now. I just drive it like a grandma around corners now.

Latest posts

Back