Engine Dramas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi351

Reaction score
I have a 2008 D40 2.5l.... A couple of weeks ago the Mrs was driving the car, called me saying it had stopped, making a sound like a popped tyre. After getting the car towed home, found it had broken the bottom timing chain. Thinking it might have bent valves, I started dismantling the rest of the engine to check. While trying to undo the cam bolts, I found another problem- it has snapped both cams on number 4 cylinder!
Has anybody else had these dramas, I'm now at a loss as to which direction to go next.....

Thats not cool mate...im forever reading about snapped timing chains laitly...if its not here its seems one every few days on one of the many d40 facebook groups.a lot of people say they had no warning signs or unusual noises..

Sucks to hear buddy, alot of this happening lately makes me want to sell mine :( hope it all works out champ

That is really bad hey have you spoken to Nissan about it? They might cover some of the cost.

I doubt is, its 94000 out of warranty.

It sux none the less. Is the timing chain a scheduled service item?

Timing chains are meant to last the life of the engine..

Correct. This issue however is very well documented and to be honest, makes me regret purchasing the D40. I am very happy with every other aspect except this one issue with the motor.

If I choose to keep this car past 120,000 km, I will be upgrading to a dual-row kit from www.yd25.com.au

That goes without saying... broken timing chain is the end of the engines life... until repaired or replaced.

I guess if nissan offer 6y/100k waranty then ASAP after this expires change it..

Yeah i would never buy one thats for sure. Nissan admitted there were issues. But never mad an effort to fix it

It certainly seems that the YD engine is pretty bullet proof apart from the chain. Apart from 'simple' things like the SCV and some sensors, we almost never hear about any other problems from the YD25. It seems it is good for many hundred thousand k's if you do a dual row chain around the 100k mark.

How about if we get everyone to put down year of car, Km done and drama and approach them... If there's enough numbers then maybe something will happen

This was tried with all the ZD30 grenades fitted to Patrols, about 150 people put their name down. Nothing came of it.

Latest posts

Back