2009 D40 2.5l engine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey everyone, bought a d40 not long ago, started it this morning, drove to work and now it makes this noise under acceleration. anyone had this problem before? what would it be? something to do with the turbo? boost leak? have no clue, cheers!

https://youtu.be/O33z36xgiT0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like it's related to the turbo, it responds to the increased engine RPM just like a turbocharger does. If it's a boost leak, you'll spot it by the tell-tale black sludge around the leak.

If there's no boost leak (check the intercooler too), pull the intake hose off the turbocharger and give the impeller a wiggle. It shouldn't move much at all - if it does, your turbocharger may be on the way out. You may not notice a reduction in boost pressure if it's only just starting to let go.

Oh, there is one more thing it might be. On mine (slightly different sound, but you'll understand why in a moment) my exhaust gasket between the turbocharger and the exhaust manifold was eaten away by the heat just enough so that it became very much like the reed in a clarinet. Mine was a rather badly played clarinet, and I wasn't asked back for a repeat performance, but replacing the gasket fixed it. Look for signs of soot around the joint.

Latest posts

Back