Need advice oil leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy too

Reaction score
G'day have a 2008 d22 engine that has an oil leak at the back exhaust manifold side of head, had motor out and thought I had fixed leak which I thought was in small cover at back of head but it seems to be from the head gasket about 50mm along, is this common as I would have thought if head gasket failed it would have been where there is more pressure, not oil to the outside?
Also if need to do head gasket is it easy enough to do in vehicle?

Are you sure it's not coming from the PCV on the top of the head? Clean, dry, apply masking tape around the area and take it for a drive. I didn't think there were oil galleries near the outside of the engine, but I don't know the D22 engine that well.

Bumping this up so a couple of people who are really good with the D22s can see it. Hopefully they'll jump in soon.

Thanks OT
Seems I have more troubles than oil leaking out the head gasket as there is bubbles in the overflow water container, this engine came out of a wreck (repairable write-off) and was supposed to be ok but not obviously.:pissedoff:
Looks like I either have to pull the engine out again or try and remove the head while in place, probably a good time to check the timing chains as well which because it sounded ok on initial short start up in original vehicle I decided not too but would have been savage if I had done the timing chain and then found I had to lift the head off.
Any advice on whether it is possible to remove head in vehicle would be appreciated, there is one bolt on the heater pipe at the rear but other than that not sure of any other issues.

Bob

Thanks OT never heard of it before or at least taken notice, from the blurb it seals heads etc from the water jacket but wonder what it does in regards damage long term eg radiator tubes but then the oil leak seems to be under the head on top of the block and it won't address that?, I really think I need to take the head off and have a look, certainly not looking forward to it.

Motor runs really sweet but a fair amount of gas/air in the radiator, thought it might have entered via the turbo tubes so put some clear hose on the upper pipe but flow goes from engine outlet to turbo as does the EGR cooler, interesting how little flow even after engine is at operating temp.

Should be able to move engine forward enough to get at heater pipe bolt at rear of head, you can gain an inch just by using forward rear engine/transmission strut mounts which I did try to gain more clearance from firewall on 3" exhaust but it brings the starter motor dangerously close to front engine mount bracket.

G'day
Just for anyone interested in the above, the oil leak was definitely in the head gasket, there is an oil passage where it was leaking and one layer of the gasket was broken, it appears as if it was bent and then straightened to flatten it prior to installing but had completely split away at the edge allowing one layer thickness to leak oil, the passage is only 3/8 inch from the edge anyway.

Also have bubbles in the water but almost 90% sure that is gasket also, haven't done a head gasket job for years and none on these motors but it appears that there is a smear of liquid gasket or silicone over both surfaces of the old gasket and associated surfaces, can anybody tell me do the gaskets come pre coated because the manual doesn't say anything about using anything and it would be near impossible to get an even layer over the whole area both sides.
Looks to me like someone has done a bodgy job, haven't checked head or block for straightness properly yet but they look ok.
Bob

How long have you had the vehicle? I reckon you might be on the right track of a dodgy fix. They may have known they buggered the gasket and tried to use sealant to make it last long enough to flog it off...

Not good to hear, but hopefully a new gasket fixes it. I find it strange also to have to coat a head gasket with any other sealant prior to fitment.

Yeah the engine came out of a 2008 repairable write-off, found contact details for previous owner and he said? engine was good except for oil leak which without stripping would probably be hard to find but he had sealed small rear sump and even found liquid gasket in car, don't think he knew but previous owner before him was meticulous with servicing (book) so maybe he did know.
Spoke to SIL (mechanic ex ) and he said they used a spray over the old valiant engines so maybe thats it but shit to get off.
Took head in for pressure testing so will know soon enough if it's ok.
Going to keep this vehicle so one way or another will get either this engine or another one going, this one has done 280k so don't want to spend a lot on it $280 to test and reassemble valves.

Latest posts

Back