03 ZD30 rocker cover gasket

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
I've got an oil leak from the rocker cover at the back of the motor, firewall end.
been searching thru the mongrel workshop manual but can't find what I want.
Here's my question, how easy is it to change the gasket and is there anything I should be taking care of when doing it.
Is there a special gasket goo I should use ?
and does anyone know where I can get a gasket which doesn't cost $138 as has been quoted to me.
cheers

I sealed mine with gasket goo as repco didn't have a listing for a gasket. It's not particularly difficult to do, just a few parts to remove to gain access to the rocker cover.
Clean the mating surfaces as well as you can, and be very careful not to drop any dirt, nuts, tools etc. Into the motor.
Retighten the rocker cover bolts evenly in a similar pattern as you would to torque down a cylinder head.

Also check the seals around the glow plugs. Mine were fine but leaked once they were disturbed.
I can't remember how much they cost, but they're a rip off for what they are.

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a gasket from QLD for $44 delivered to the west express post.
Buggered if I was paying $138 to the WA bandits.
cheers

Hey odlie dont know if this will help ya i just done mine in pic one make sure to be generous with high temp gasket goo on those seems either side all torque settings a in other pics uploadfromtaptalk1450507231682.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450507247457.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450507261346.jpg

Thanks navman but the pics are that small I can't read them. what part of the service manual will I find the info ?
cheers

Thanks Nav. Looks like I'll have to also get new oil seals for the glow plugs to do the job. I didn't realize they had to come off.
cheers

Oh rite i bought my kit through veales the kit come with the 4 seals and gasket for 82.00 trade price or round a bouts it was 116.00 non trade price i dont think there much maybe repco or supercheap i have noticed bit of oil under intake mani after seal replacment dont know if its residue after degreasing motor but yeah didnt notice it before

The gasket coming from QLD, I'm not sure if it comes with the glow plug seals. Got my clutch kit from Veales in Myaree so I'll see what price they have on the GP seals.
Repco usually have gear for the 03 ZD30 navara's so will check with them also.
Cheaper the better.

Finally got the rocker cover gasket today and Auspost did a really good job.
Express post from QLD sent on December 16 and arrived today December 29.
3 cheers for Auspost, NOT.
Anyway, I've got a few questions about the installation as the mongrel workshop manual has me confused.

1. Why would you tighten the cover bolts as in point 1 if you haven't applied the gasket goo.
2. Points 2 & 6 don't seem logical to me.
3. Why is gasket goo only applied to 4 spots, surely it should go all around.

Hoping someone can help, the installation instructions seem all arse about to my old brain and I can't read Japanese.

Cheers

Attachments

• replace cover.JPG
    replace cover.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 167
Don't worry about the glow plug seals yours are already in the rocker cover so you don't need to worry about them unless you are replacing them. The places you put liquid gasket are cut outs in the block and they need sealant. You don't need to do the whole way round but I am sure you could if you wanted to.

Last edited:
And the reason you temporarily tighten the bolts at the start is because they are only putting sealant in those little gaps which you can reach with the cover actually in place at the front of the engine. If you have a look at the front of your engine under the bonnet you will see the same spots that have a bit of sealant in them. So the idea is you fill those gaps completely with sealant when the cover is on but loose then when you torque it down there should be no chance of holes as the sealant should squish down. Confusing wording but just it basically means just make sure there is enough sealant in those gaps before you tighten the cover

How did u work out ur oil leak was coming from your rocker cover gasket?

I have a suspiscion mine is leaking too.

Maybe it wasnt sealed too well when i had the head replaced a few years ago, looks like they used plenty of gasket goo, maybe they didnt use a gasket.

There's seals around the injector pipes and also around the glow plugs where they pass through the rocker cover, i'd check those first.

Yea, i got oil there aswell.
Its also oily around the front of the head just below the plastic cover.

I haven't got around to replacing the gasket and seals yet, so can't say if a new gasket will solve the problem.
I got a bit slack as it got a bit hot here and I don't feel like doing any work LOL

I took the truck in for a service today, got the mechanix opinion on the oil leak, he cant see any oil around the rocker cover, said he can only see it from the bottom of the head down and thinks its the head gasket.

I hope not as the head and gasket has only done 30k since being replaced 3yrs ago.

Although i did degrease everything last week and had a look after a drive and i could clearly see oil at the rear driverside corner of the rocker cover/head join, so i still think it may be coming from there and dripping down the back of the engine/gearbox.

I reckon ill change the rocker gasket when i get time and see if it dries up. Not keen on pulling the head off or paying someone to do it again. Fark that.

Back