The D.I.Y. ZD30 remap thread.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay and you find this helps significantly with your throttle response? Buying all this gear is almost still cheaper than a buying a commercial throttle controller anyway. Ill shoot ya a pmfor some sockets and chips.

Okay and you find this helps significantly with your throttle response? Buying all this gear is almost still cheaper than a buying a commercial throttle controller anyway. Ill shoot ya a pmfor some sockets and chips.

Did you end up finding a throttle controller for the Zd30?

Did you end up finding a throttle controller for the Zd30?

Scottm I didnt mate, I asked just about every company I could find and none had them. I sent some pics to Plug'N'Go of the throttle plugs but on the ZD30 there are two attached to the top of the accel pedal, this may be why none yet makes a controller for our vehi8cle.

Because I couldn't find one, I head down this ECU remap route.

I've mentioned Damos/A2L files before which are the instruction manual that goes with an ecu software file. If you drag this file for a Fiat Chrome 1900 ecu into winols, you'll find an English translation that tells you what every line of code is, in the ecu. There's much more than the obvious maps. I haven't found anything for a Zexel ecu.

Attachments

• fiat chrome a2l.zip
    64.7 KB · Views: 89
Rumpig what is your goal for this sort of work? Can you achieve these level of results through other means? i.e. 3" exhaust, chip, inter cooling, turbo upgrades, water/meth injection.

Rumpig what is your goal for this sort of work? Can you achieve these level of results through other means? i.e. 3" exhaust, chip, inter cooling, turbo upgrades, water/meth injection.
It is just editing the ecu. Similar to a chip, except no "box" in the middle. Changing the ecu parameters works better than a chip, because you can turn things like egr off, change idle speed, etc...

The yd25 ecu is different to the zd30 one. Yd25 can be flashed using the obd2 port, but is still in very early stages so trying to figure out what maps are what will take a while...

Be curious to see what the limit is of the stock pump. My AFR's are about 21:1 ATM so I can still add a lot more fuel

I don't really know what will be the limit. The yanks get heaps of power out of the larger vp44 in their 6 cylinders by using chips to keep the spill valve open longer, but I've read that bosch don't recommend a spill valve duty cycle greater than 50-55 %. Lots of people think there is a limiter in the chip on the pump itself but I have my doubts. All the other mods can only help with longjevity/reliability.

You can work out how much fuel you can inject for a given boost pressure using the formula in the attached document. In theory at 15psi I should be able to inject 86 mg of fuel for an 18-1 AFR, but to keep EGT in check I can only use around 52mg. Even running 22psi I can max out my EGT.

Attachments

• Converting PSI to Mbar to grams of air to get Air Fuel Ratio.doc
    37 KB · Views: 128
  • mbar to mg air.JPG
    mbar to mg air.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 251
Would this calculator work for a common rail? I'm guessing you would be injecting the same quantity of diesel, just at a much higher pressure

Would this calculator work for a common rail? I'm guessing you would be injecting the same quantity of diesel, just at a much higher pressure

Yeah should be the same, it's just a ratio of grams air/ grams fuel. Only variables are the V.E percent and weight of air at different temps.

When you think of it this way it really shows how important proper intercooling is on Turbo Diesels

Time to start going through the maps. I'd encourage anyone doing this, to do their own research and not just rely on what I say as i'm definitely no expert. The first thing to do is switch off the Exhaust Gas Recirculation as not only does it choke the shite out of the engine, but whenever it is on the ECU pulls fuel to compensate for the lack of fresh air. Not good for throttle response.
There's multiple maps for the EGR as it's not just the one valve, it also uses the two butterfly valves on the "Y" pipe on the inlet manifold. The EGR valve itself is an 11 position stepper motor and the conditions it operates under are referenced it the D22 manual. All this info helps with identifying the maps.

Attachments

• EGR on ori 3D.JPG
    EGR on ori 3D.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 256
  • EGR on ori text.JPG
    EGR on ori text.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 244
The above map is located at 3AEC8 is the map that controls the EGR by coolant temp. The highest value on this map, once the correct factors are applied is 11.5 volts at a coolant temp of -30c. Because the manual says the EGR doesn't operate at low coolant temps we can safely assume that this is the off position, so if we set all the values in this map to 11.5 then the EGR won't operate at any temperature and there will be no fuel pulled. Because the EGR normally operates during cruise/ part throttle this is part of the reason throttle response is so doughy. Not anymore! There are other EGR related maps but this is the only one we need to change.

Attachments

• EGR off 3D.JPG
    EGR off 3D.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 213
  • EGR off text.JPG
    EGR off text.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 225
  • egr desciption.JPG
    egr desciption.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 227
If you've read any of the guides on the EDC16/15 etc I posted ealier you'll know that the ecu follows an order that goes, Drivers Wish - Smoke Map - Torque Limiter to decide how much fuel to inject, so i'll post in that order.
Once you open a map if you double click on it a property box opens and this is where you apply the factors to get the correct values you need. For the X axis which is throttle position the factor is 0.001 with a precision of 2 and this gives a range of 0.56 volts to 5.50 volts. The Y axis is rpm and has a factor of 1 and a precision of 0 for a range of 0 - 4400 rpm. The output of the map is the requested injection quantity of fuel. The original factor is 0.01 with a precision of 0. With these factors the requested injection quantity is mm3 with a range of 0 - 100.
When working out Air Fuel Ratios you need to compare apples to apples so we need to convert the mm3 of fuel into mg fuel. An MSDS from Caltex for diesel says the specific gravity of diesel is 0.84 so if we change the factor from 0.01to 0.0084 we get mg of fuel with a range of 0 - 84 mg fuel. The general consensus is that the VP44 in our car has a maximum injection quantity on 100mm3.

Attachments

• Drivers Wish property box.JPG
    Drivers Wish property box.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Drivers wish ori 3D.JPG
    Drivers wish ori 3D.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Drivers wish ori text.JPG
    Drivers wish ori text.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 202
When it comes to changing the maps it helps to have some data so you know what your car is doing so you know what to change. The best logger for the ZD30 is Ecutalk and from logging while driving around I know that cruising at 60-80kmh the throttle position is around 1.1 volts going up to 2.5 - 3.0 volts when overtaking. This is where the car lacks throttle response and is obviously where we want to change the map. All the current pics i'm posting are of a map I've been trying for 15psi, something that should be O.K on a stock Navara. Most of the changes I've made are between 1.12v and 3.1v and from 1000 rpm and up. I had to lower some values from original to keep Exhaust Gas Temperatures below 700c but raised values at 4400 rpm to stop it running out of legs higher up. Better for overtaking.
As well as changing the injection quantities you can also change values on the axis, the idea is to not have sudden changes but to keep the maps relatively smooth.

Attachments

• Ecutalk log 58 kmh.jpg
    Ecutalk log 58 kmh.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Drivers Wish 3D.JPG
    Drivers Wish 3D.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Drivers Wish Text.JPG
    Drivers Wish Text.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 148
Great to see your making progress, what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

Have you been driving with the new maps flashed or still tweeking on the computer?

Great to see your making progress, what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

Have you been driving with the new maps flashed or still tweeking on the computer?

I drive a bus. Yeah I've been driving around testing different things for 6 months. Basically change one thing at a time, go for a drive see what it's like then try another change. Time consuming but the only way to learn when starting from scratch.

Latest posts

Back