Ticking noise after oil & filter change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's true that the oil itself is thickest straight out of the container, but if you take into account oxidisation, soot and all sorts of contaminants that it collects from use, I thought it was generally considered that oil effectively/practically, thickens as it ages (from use)? At least, it doesn't seem to exit the sump thinner when you change it?

It's true that the oil itself is thickest straight out of the container, but if you take into account oxidisation, soot and all sorts of contaminants that it collects from use, I thought it was generally considered that oil effectively/practically, thickens as it ages (from use)? At least, it doesn't seem to exit the sump thinner when you change it?

The oil in my D22 actually does seem thinner when I drop it (Magnatec 10W40)

I do the oil changes on my wife's petrol too & it is quite different. It actually seems thicker? (also Magnatec 10W40)

The oil from my diesel seems almost "watery" after it comes out. It's as black as night & feels "gritty", not at all like the petrol, which is usually still semi clear & slippery.

Can't say I've noticed mine to be any noisier after an oil change. I do run a Ryco oil filter too and haven't had any trouble. I do only run the factory spec 5w30 oil though, so whether that makes any difference is anyone's guess...

The oil in my D22 actually does seem thinner when I drop it (Magnatec 10W40)

I do the oil changes on my wife's petrol too & it is quite different. It actually seems thicker? (also Magnatec 10W40)

The oil from my diesel seems almost "watery" after it comes out. It's as black as night & feels "gritty", not at all like the petrol, which is usually still semi clear & slippery.

Well, I stand corrected.

Can't say I have ever seen oil exit the sump thinner than it went in. This might just be perception from expecting it to be thicker though.

I use FS in mine, needs to be ultra-low ash because of that thrice-damned DPF.

Did you put a stethoscope to the engine and listen for the sound? You'd be able to narrow the sound down if you did. Is the sound coming from the front, indicating a timing chain that may be slapping around? Is it coming from the camshaft area, indicating a worn shim or some damage to the camshaft that quiets as the soot builds into the gaps?

I'd be doing that first. Knowing where the sound is coming from is going to be 90% of the battle in finding the answer.

Well, I stand corrected.

Can't say I have ever seen oil exit the sump thinner than it went in. This might just be perception from expecting it to be thicker though.

You're not corrected. It's just how it seems to me when I do the oil changes.

It's an interesting subject though! :cheers!:

Latest posts

Back