How-to Guide: ZD30 Air Intake Modification (DIY Pre-filter Bypass)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I added a snorkel to my 2004 D22 ZD30 and wanted to free up the space where the pre-filter is, so I wanted a cheap solution which required the least amount of work. This extra space will be used for another battery.

I didnt want to buy the Nissan intake pipe from the YD25 engine as it was like some crazy price ($125ish) from Nissan, so I wanted an alternate route, my intake is also a little larger so it's flow capabilities are probably slightly improved, but that's all wank factor haha.

All I did was remove all the pipe work from the air box to where the intake goes through the engine bay wall to the snorkel attachment.

I bought two 90 degree silicon joiners with an inside diametre of 76mm from super cheap (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...E-90-DEG-76-X-76MM-BLUE.aspx?pid=341485#Cross $25 ea but you can usually get them on special 20% off every couple of months, i got impatient haha). Also bought an extra two 69-89mm hose clamps as you need four in total (I had two from the stock air intake setup).

Now these joiners need to be cut down as the bends have to be quite tight to hug the engine bay wall as close as possible, you just need to leave enough room to fit clamps over the silicon where it joins to the triangular bit on the air box and the circular bit from the snorkel which protrudes slightly from the engine bay wall. The 76mm ID silicon joiners will both just fit over the triangular opening on the air box and also the snorkel piece coming through the engine bay wall.

Also you'll have to relocate the Air Temp sensor to somewhere flat, the position in my pics is not optimal because I should be leaving at much space as possible there for my extra battery, but I happened to see that's where someone else put it and I went ahead without thinking about it, battery should still fit ok.

Now all you need is a poly pipe joiner of some description, now these are super hard to come by, I couldn't find any in Bunnings and I ended up going to the local plumbing store (Samios) and even they sold nothing of that measure, remember you need 75-76mm outside diametre pipe to fit your silicon joiners. But at the plumbing store they did have some black poly pipe with a 75mm OD which was builders waste, so he cut me off a 25cm bit for free!

Now the last problem is being a cylindrical piece of pipe it takes up a lot of space next to the engine bay wall. So I baked mine in my fan forced oven at approx 150 degrees (I dont know for how long as I sat in front of the oven slowing bumping the temp up and up) so that it became soft and malleable. I then moulded it into an oval shape with my hands cover in the appropriate protective clothing (tea towel) and then cooled it under some running water to set it in it's new shape.

Finally put your joiner in between you silicon bends and it should all line up like my attached pictures, I haven't sikaflexed mine yet, but its already pretty much air tight, if anything my snorkel leaks where is goes through my guard from the outside of the car to the intermediate pipe inside the guard.

Also even if you don't have a snorkel you can do this mod so free up space for another battery, just leave some extra length on the silicon joiner going through the engine bay wall.

Note: My intake noise is now a lot louder, but it's only really noticeable with the passenger front window down at peak boost levels, I don't mind the sound, but others might.

Attachments

• Intake from front 1.jpg
    Intake from front 1.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 1,926
  • Intake from front two.jpg
    Intake from front two.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 2,263
  • Intake from back.jpg
    Intake from back.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,627
I was looking at mine last weekend wondering the best way to loose the pre filter, and the bypass pipes just dont look right for me, so i will give this a go.
Cheers

Hay mate. I'm installing my cheap Chinese made snorkel at the moment (silly me for forking out more money) I think I'm going to do this as well. The snorkel comes with a pre-cleaner bypass but it's a shit shape and hard to fit properly, hence I'm having a beer and writing this not finishing the job. Are you using the same blue tube behind the inside guard where it connects to the snorkel???? Think I'm just going to fab a whole new set of tubing using this blue tube and see how I go.

good job, looks neat, I love induction noise

Last edited:
SammySTR - The silicon joiner is just connecting to the intermediate tube behind the engine bay wall, the intermediate tube is the one which came with my genuine Nissan snorkel (it connects the main snorkel body with the prefilter and travels inside the guard). I would double check the diametre of whatever intermediate tube comes with your snorkel kit as it may vary from mine. The intermediate tube on mine was virtually 76mm OD, it was a tight fit.

Bods - I am actually a bit pushed for space, so I am going to remove my bit of poly pipe, throw it in the oven to try and make it skinnier so I can get more clearance. This is try and fit the standard size 12 inch deep cycle battery config.

Attached are some pics of what that piece of poly pipe looks like at the moment, keep in mind I aim to make it skinnier for more battery room.

Attachments

• 20140724_184706.jpg
    20140724_184706.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 667
  • 20140724_184710.jpg
    20140724_184710.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 601
  • 20140724_184716.jpg
    20140724_184716.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 621
How did you go securing the blue hose to the air box with its weird triangle shape????

Fair enough... Someone did something similar recently, except went straight through the inner quarter panel from the snorkel body to the airbox as it is pretty much right in line inside the guard...

The silicon joiner just fits over the triangle shaped opening on the air box, I then just used a hose clamp to secure it. The hose clamp and silicon hose then mould perfectly to the triangle shaped air box inlet.

I did this mod the other day. I had a forefront pre filter delete pipe on before. But it seems to go a bit better now. I just used some 75mm (storm water) pvc as the joining pipe and put the air flow sensor in it. I will eventually get a piece of 3 inch exhaust to use instead of the pvc i think

cf90d28da140558e3cdc45b4bdc2fbb4.jpg
e6233c5fc88b833e06f3d46c43f0027d.jpg
a97c04243976f90bb8ded2431f876381.jpg
3a8fb05d25c51aa48e014e255db6f46a.jpg

I just used pvc pipe with heat gun and hole sawed straight through guard clamped it and sikaflexed the shit out of it was air tight the a n70 fit straight in

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I actually modified the original pipe, cut it in half, flipped the end and plastic welded it back together, looks and works legit, and fits perfect to the original hole!

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 439

Latest posts

Back