One man gearbox removal/installation Hall of Fame.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbid-chop

Reaction score
Who's done it? How hard? Any tips?
From what I understand it's quite an achievement so stand up and be counted!

Well first ya get the Jacks
Drink as much as ya can then give it to a good mechanic, someone who knows what they are doing LOL
Merry Xmas
I didn't help one bit did I, but the Jacks taste good haha

Attachments

• 140827142149-jack-daniels-bottles-1024x576.jpg
    140827142149-jack-daniels-bottles-1024x576.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 112
I've done it on the d21 a few times i put an engine crane through the passenger door opening (i took the door off the last time) then put the chain through the shifter hole wrapped around the box. next time i plan on using a chain block on the engine crane

I've done it on the d21 a few times i put an engine crane through the passenger door opening (i took the door off the last time) then put the chain through the shifter hole wrapped around the box. next time i plan on using a chain block on the engine crane

Thats not a bad idea. Might try that. Do you recon the shifter hole would be big enough for both chains with the load leveller though?

Was reading the other thread on your clutch problems R.C. I hope your previous mechanic didn't round off the bolts to your torsion bar brackets like they did mine. Recently put in HD bars and had a prick of a time getting them out, had to use an oxy and chisel to get the brackets off. As an afterthought would it be a wise move to lube the splines with antiseize before reinstalling? No mention on the YouTube bid I watched. Best of lunch with the box mate🎄🍻

a close neighbour of mine removes and replaces 4 x 4 gearboxes quite often, yes he is a back yard mechanic . he works on his own and does this work on a concrete driveway slab with the use of 2 x floor jacks , no lifting atall, just undo the bolts and slide the box out.

done the toyo a few times. used strops across the torsion bars or chassis rails. having a gearbox roll off the jack would not be fun.

Wasn't too bad of a job when i did it. Ended up doing the clutch and new rear main seal while i was at it.. The box actually wasn't too bad. Sat nicely balanced on the 2,500kgs trolley jack and went up and in no problems. Just gotta take your time and line it up properly. I ended up removing the torsion bar crossmember to make it a bit easier, not sure if you have to or not but it gave a heap more room behind the box to help get it in.

Thanks guys, yeah I was having trouble imagining why it would be that much harder than doing a normal gearbox with a jack - although if it did roll off that would be a c*nt.
Any way, riding my pushy back from returning a rental truck, I stuck my head in at an UltraTune that was open - they are working through and can do my ute next week!. He reckons had a lot of problems with excedy - they fail and they dont honour warranties. Recommended either Proclutch or 4terrain. Picked up the latter for about half what he quoted. His quote on labour was pretty good though.

Single Handed G/box removal!

Good Morning Gentlemen!
I have tackled three if my Memory serves me well,

1. a Falcon ute in a Creek bed at the start of Winter, laying in Water!

2. a 26 Model Austin Severn in my backyard, In those days you could buy the fiction plates
from Coventry Motors, Perth and rivett them on to the plate yourself between
emptying Large Beer Bottles!{Stubbies and Cans were still waiting to be invented}

3.Gearbox removed for the "Navy" on their "Landrover" on North Wharf in
Fremantle in 1959 just before Christmas, but this time I was the Supervisor and
advised Three ME's how, what, and when or where while alongside our Ship!
Thanks for the Memories, Those were the days, big muscles and no Brains!

Merry Xmas to you all, and a Happy New Year!

highway Man,:deadhorse2:

Thanks guys, yeah I was having trouble imagining why it would be that much harder than doing a normal gearbox with a jack - although if it did roll off that would be a c*nt.
Any way, riding my pushy back from returning a rental truck, I stuck my head in at an UltraTune that was open - they are working through and can do my ute next week!. He reckons had a lot of problems with excedy - they fail and they dont honour warranties. Recommended either Proclutch or 4terrain. Picked up the latter for about half what he quoted. His quote on labour was pretty good though.

4Terrain - Exceedy ok in 2WD navs, shit in 4wd ones. My mechanic friend who's worked on more D40's than a nissan service centre won't touch Exceedy in a 4wd. He's done HUNDREDS of clutches and swears by the 4Terrain.

Don't get bitten 3 times..

have done a few gearboxes in my day, the d21 was a **** to get back in due to the weight and the awkward transfer box.

the d21 is almost identical to the d22 box, so before i did my d22 one i bought a gearbox jack.

honestly made the job 100000000000000000% easier, worth every pennt of the near $300 or so it was (local to, all ebay ones had massive del charges to WA, so there is cheaper out there)

this
https://www.liftingequipment.com.au...low-profile-transmission-jack-0-5-ton-te05001

if you do everything in order, and remove all the tortion bars etc to get clearence, its not that bad of a job.

not as bad as a GQ patrol, **** me sideways, never again.

Latest posts

Back