Driveline Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a driveline noise in my Nav thats slowly been getting worse.

Its an all standard TD27 powered 89 single cab 4x4 and the noise is a fairly high pitch squeek that sounds rotational and dissapears above 60km/h.
When accelrating its most noticable bewteen 0-15 and basically dissapears over about 15km/h but it's when coasting or backing off at speeds below 60km/h that its really noticable.
the noise will disapear if i get on the throttle at all
Sounds even worse in reverse at low speeds.

Initially I thought gearbox as when driving it dissapears if I clutch in or knock it into neutral but I'm now starting to suspect its in the tail shaft.
A likely suspect would be that center support bushing.
It appears old and slightly flogged out (small amount of movement there) and the noise does sound like abit like rubber squeeking.
My ex's step father was the original owner and said it has never been touched (309k on the clock)

Am I looking in the right direction?
I'm gonna go ahead and replace it anyway I take it it's not a huge job,
Just split the uni at the flange, remove the front shaft and bushing housing and the shaft will split in 2 some how?
I'm guessing there is probably some sort of spline drive and locking nut assembly under the flange where the rear uni joint bolts up?

Thanks in advance
Joel

P7090766.jpg

Yep. Centre bearing is most likely spinning metal on metal. I had the same problem not long ago. Made the same noise. New bearing is about $30. I didn't change mine- got it done with some other stuff.

Good chance it's centre bearing, worth changing, there's a staked nut holding it together, you may need a press too. Could also be the metal shroud around the transfer output shaft has had a knock, been off road/ run over anything lately? Coz it's 1mm steel and shaped like a bell, the slightest rubbing produces a sound in the range of 10000dB. Changing the centre bearing will soon tell you as you can see inside the bell with the front section of the rear propshaft out.

I'll suss it out while it's apart but driving across a mowed lawn is about the closest this thing gets to off roading :biggrin:

I was thinking the play in that bushing might explain the shuddering I get driving up my oldies driveway which is really steep.

I was thinking the play in that bushing might explain the shuddering I get driving up my oldies driveway which is really steep.

That is exactly what happens when it's flogged out.

Sounds like you're onto a winner.

Hey Guys,
I've started pulling it down to fit the new one.

The big 27mm nut that holds the flange on the shaft and gets peened into the slot, am I right in thinking its a good idea to replace that?

I'm guessing it's somehting I'll have to get from Nissan.

I'll see what sort of shape its in once I knock that peen out and undo it.

Cheers.

CAM00236.jpg

THanks for the help everyone, jobs done.

delicate tapping with a screwdriver got the peen out enough to undo it.

I'm pretty stoked the majority of all the noise is gone now, I can still hear a very slight rubber squeek but only because im actually listening for it, very hard to hear it.

The shudder on taking off is still there but I'm sure that is probably just 24 year old engine and trans mounts showing their age.

I was getting a bit worried, once I got the shaft out the old bearing actually spun pretty smoothly and the new one actually lets the shafts move around much more but that is probably what it's designed to do I guess.

CAM00239.jpg

CAM00241.jpg

Now on to next job, replacing the water pump and fan.

Do the engine mounts very soon, when mine were shagged it flogged out the centre bearing quickly.

Still a damm good motor I got 570k out of mine before I stupidly traded it but in that time I went through 3 center bearings and engine and gearbox mounts will the yd25 go that distance?:wristy:

That's a good point Dion, I'll have to get it up on the hoist and see if I can find where they all are and suss out what condition they are in.

Had this problem myself on my 4x4. The shroud in the gearbox I greased it and that stopped the noise for a few kms???? so decided to check further and replaced the rubber bearing $77NZ from BnT for replacement as one side rubber was worn out. Also noticed the shroud bolts weren't tight. I replaced them and checked the bell shroud which was OK. Alls well once I changed the bearing and the 2 bolts.

Latest posts

Back