coolant wont return to radiator from overflow

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davenavara22

Reaction score
I've got an 02 navara running the ZD30 engine and the coolant is staying in the overflow, building up, and not returning to the radiator. Every 2 or so days I empty the over flow manually back it to the radiator. Even though the coolant is not circulating properly the engine is not over heating or running any differently than usuall. I've bought a new radiator im yet to install, but looking over everything I don't know if it will change anything. im just wondering if anyone has had similar problems or can give advice on the problem.

Try changing your thermostat. If its not opening properly the coolant has nowhere to go except out to the overflow.
change radiator caps and check there are no splits in the hoses from tank to oveflow.

i had a similar problem, turned out to be a cracked head, ended up costing $4500.

hopefully you don't have the same problem.

try filling the radiator to the top leave the cap off and start the engine, have a look at the coolant and see if there are any bubbles.
i had heaps of little bubbles coming out which was the combustion gas leaking into a water jacket.

Before u do anything buy a new cap.... The cap is the only mechanical part of the engine that controls the coolant return from the overflow ..... When negative pressure forms in the motor because of the engine and coolant cools and contracts it sucks coolant back the the small valve in the cap.... This valve can get blocked

The first thing to try is definately replace the radiator cap.

Similar thing happened to my fiance's little i20, replaced radiator cap, thermostat and in the end it was a warped head gasket. Hopefully it's something little for you.

Brett

Mine Did the same thing, Head was cracked in 4 places! never got hot except once on a really long trip where it spat out a heap of water. pretty common with these engines apparently.

cheers for the help

I've tried everthing execpt the themostat and I will check for bubbles in the radaitor. if it is a problem with the head would it most likely a warped or cracked head or could there be a hole in the head gasket.

if its the head it could be warped, cracked or gasket. but from what i've heard i'd say cracked is most likely.

Latest posts

Back