I want a patrol!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomHogan

Reaction score
Have been looking on the patrol forums, video's on youtube and cars around town.. and I'm starting to fall for the GU and GQ patrols.

Thinking of selling/swapping mine for one.

(At least it's still a nissan.... right?)

then go buy one??

I wouldn't say no to a patrol ute, but the dream is a cruiser ute.

I had this feeling. And then I drove a two inch lift troll for a few days. What a boat!!! Felt good to be back in the Nav

Yeah a patrol would be my next choice. Just not a 3ltr

Why not the 3 ltr? Im not really looking for a lot of power on road. And a chip can always fix that up later on down the track.

Any advice on what year models are the good ones and which ones are the models to stay away from?

I had an 04 Patrol with the 3 liter engine. Was a nice unit and in some ways I miss it, but I am enjoying the Nav.

Why not the 3 ltr? Im not really looking for a lot of power on road. And a chip can always fix that up later on down the track.

Any advice on what year models are the good ones and which ones are the models to stay away from?

The 3.0Lt patrols were notorious for problems from what i know. Swapping to a Patrol is also on my mind. Although thinking about going older to GQ. Better offroad and wont be as worried about breaking stuff. Got to buy my house first though..lol

It was the early (pre 03) 3 liters that had issues with melting pistons. They fixed that by increasing the sump capacity and changing the oil squirters. I had just under 300,000ks on mine when I traded it and the engine was still going strong. It had started to develop the odd "over boost" issue that a few have got but Nissan could never fault it and I didn't want to throw a heap of money at a vehicle I was going to be trading.

I didn't want to throw a heap of money at a vehicle I was going to be trading.

This is my other dilemma haha.

Pondering on whether to keep the nav as it stands now and just continue the servicing going to keep my cash up for the next purchase in a couple of years time, or continue with modifying the nav with the steel bar, winch, lift and all the other goodies? will be a better car by the time i do sell it, but by then, i will be loosing money.

The mighty patrol pffh 99 model gu 4.2 turbo box of shit at work will be for sale soon with cracks all through the chassis and no pick up talk about lag and did i mention it handles like a shopping trolley

I go out with a mate with an 06 4.2td with all the arb fruit on. I with my trusty nav have gone places he has had to winch due to the sheer mass and weight of it.

I love to drive it when he lets me but trust me when it gets real boggy and muddy, I'll take my nav any day!!!!

I love to drive it when he lets me but trust me when it gets real boggy and muddy, I'll take my nav any day!!!!
That's it. Our cars will get through some tight spots that need power for light cars, but a patrol will just sink.

Have been looking on the patrol forums, video's on youtube and cars around town.. and I'm starting to fall for the GU and GQ patrols.

Thinking of selling/swapping mine for one.

(At least it's still a nissan.... right?)
I love the old GU's (or some might have the Maverick). We used to have a petrol manual Patrol, although fuel consumption wasn't pretty, it has something like 350k on the clock still to this day and runs well. I would actually be keen to buy it back :)

As some have said, a certain model 3l had issues. The 4.2 is tough and pulls well, especially with a few, basic, simple mods. However, consider your application and the weight of the thing.

Do you want a wagon or a ute? I have been out with a guy in a GU 4.2 Ute that he had tipped about $15k into but it went like a cut cat. It had about 220 rear wheel KW.

Latest posts

Back