V9X Oil Leak
Old 17-08-2019, 10:56 AM

My Mood:
Angry V9X Oil Leak

Hi all, Newbie here I have an oil leak that is flowing predominantly LHS of gearbox but does flow each side sometimes. I have replaced the catch can hoses, washed it down and rechecked with every - b....y type of light known to man, but donít really want to remove the engine. Iím guessing to must be a turbo oil line or similar but we just canít identify exactly The origin of the oil. Has anyone got suggestions before I pull the B....y engine out.
Sponsored Links

Old 17-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Is it engine oil? Assuming it is, it's most likely coming from the turbo but may also come from the PCV (cracked outlet?) or a cam cover gasket (rare, but still possible).

There is an oil feed into the turbo, and a large return pipe which relies on gravity and a clear path to get the oil out. The hose that connects this to the engine may have cracked or come loose. Because the turbocharger sits at the back of the engine, seeing the leak may not be easy. I use an inspection camera for tricky stuff, which works rather well, but also find a dentist's mirror handy (I have one on a telescopic rod, very handy).

Check the PCV outlet on the top of the camshaft cover. It's plastic and can break. If it's leaking oil out, it could be leaking unfiltered air in.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Challenge begins
Old 18-08-2019, 09:56 AM

My Mood:
Default Challenge begins

Thanks for your input have camera, they arenít much good to find oil leaks, mirrors etc: So Iím removing the engine ( wow what a challenge, reminds me of working on Rolls Royce - 2 Weeks to get a gearbox out) I now know why I changed careers. Iíll let you know what I find - access is the big issue and itís bound to be something small. Iím glad Iím not paying a tradie to do the job, be better to buy another vehicle

Old 11-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Hope you found the leak mate. Don't envy you, having to pull the engine out.