ZD30 De Carbonize

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
I need some advice.
I've been told by a mechanic mob, that my old motor will run better if I do a de carbonize.
They hook it up to a machine and I guess it blows hell out of the motor,
Any one done this and how did it go ?
My motor runs ok and has done near to 470K
Not sure I want to do it if it's running good.

Cheers

You might consider fuel injector cleaner for the fuel system and a manual clean of the intake manifold.

It's not a race car, running the engine at peak RPM to "decarbonise" it will possibly kill it. I bet they ask you to sign a waiver before doing it, so that if the engine blows up, they can hand it back and go "well it was almost gone anyway".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Best bit of advice ever

Use that time to go fishing or motorbike riding or somethin instead :)

If they are decarbonising the intake manifold I would ask how they do it. Maybe some chemical into the intake? The tutorial thread on here to remove and clean the manifold is pretty thorough and easy to follow

I need some advice.
I've been told by a mechanic mob, that my old motor will run better if I do a de carbonize.

Cheers
if its machine i think it is (which basically pours a chem down the motor while its running) one problem is they need to disconnect the cat off the engine otherwise it will clog up.

a better way is to use water/meth injection. that will clean it but a lot slower.

If you're really set on getting all the crud out of the manifold, the only way to do it properly without any BS is to remove it and scratch the gunk out

I found new manifolds for $395 using Mr Google without trying too hard. How much are these guys quoting you to clean the old one Oldie?

I need some advice.

Cheers

I think OldTony offers good advice on this. You answered your own question at the end there anyway. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Though much also depends on exactly what they're cleaning. If it's the inlet manifold, do it manually.

I'm a bit wary of these sorts of things, especially in older vehicles. I put some chemical oil flush through an old diesel I had once. Worked a treat, the amount of rubbish and build up it collected was really something.

Problem was that at around 400,000kms, it rarely needed oil in between oil changes.Yet after the flush it was using a litre every couple of thousand or so lol! (from memory, whatever it was lots anyway).

If injectors or valves have problems, there is no easy or cheap way to fix that IMO.

Last edited:
I use an injector cleaner usually in every tank, that is also supposed to clean carbon mind you after removing the head after 280k the only carbon I found was around the top of the cylinder, I don't know the full history of this motor so maybe it had the same treatment.

Latest posts

Back