DCchip vs Tuneit Chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony in Tas

Reaction score
Chips, chips and more chips.

Not sure if this question has been asked (I can't find a thread anyway).

Anyone with chips, any big difference b/w the two i.e. performance, reliability, quality?

The DPchip is a couple of hundred dollars more. Don't really care that much on cost per se in the long run, but just want to get the better of the two...

Cheers
T

I had a talk to the Diesel Power people at the Caravan and Camping Show in Rosehill last year. Arrogant blokes, they really didn't want to encourage any sales, at least with me. The DP chip raises the fuel rail pressure and little else.

If you're going to spend some coin on a chip, take a serious look at ChipIt or Unichip. Even better, wait around for the new upcoming offering from ChipIt - I was reading Robert's post on that and thought to myself "now that's something that I find appealing".

Holy crap T. Just read the link..

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I would have anyone down here in TAS that'd even know how to operate that beast..!

Would love to get one though. Perth is a little out of the way for me however :)

I might give them a shout and see if they can recommend someone down here.

The other unit I was looking at was a Steinbauer. I don't really know all that much about diesel engines though, so its like reading up on 'how to speak Chinese in a day'.

Diesels are actually very simple beasts (in theory).

They don't have butterflies on the air intake, so every time the piston goes down, it draws in a full load of air. The way to vary the power and revs is to vary the amount of fuel that goes in (basically ... there are other factors, like varying the injector opening time, duration, frequency).

That's done by varying the fuel rail pressure. It's a bit like your garden hose - the aperture is a certain size, when you turn on the tap a little, only a little water comes out and when you turn it on a lot, a lot comes out. I know I'm explaining it in simple terms but it really is that simple!

Most chips just turn on the tap harder than you can press the loud pedal. The Steinbauer is pretty much the same as the DP chip. In fact, the only chips I know of that do something AS WELL AS raising the fuel pressure are the Unichip and the ChipIt.

What makes these two chips even better is that the distributors/manufacturers of the chip (ChipIt - as Robert said - is home grown) come into this forum and are happy to natter with us.

And that earns a LOT of points.

As for how complex the operation would be - I don't think it'd be a big deal. Your clock radio is probably harder to sort out.

I run the Chipit unit on my D22 CRD as well as my Patrol and I cannot speak highly enough of their product.

It wakes up the D22 (Block off the EGR as well). Chalk and Cheese...

Even though I have no chip I would recommend ChipIt chips for the go. I have the crd version d22 and will be taking mine to suncoast exhaust to get my dump pipe done and the chipit chip. I can already feel its gonna be a quick trip home.

Goodluck
Rusty

Hi Rusty,where is Suncoast Exhausts?have heard of them before somewhere.,and you think that Chip It is a better way to go?,all very confusing.thanks.Broomanbass,d22.2.5crd

Suncoast exhaust are in noosa. I'm heading up that way with Thor wife end of October so I thought it was a good chance to get it done. For a crd motor I would use chipit whether its a patrol or a hilux or anything with crd motor. In saying that I have my bro almost convinced on getting chipit chip for his non commonrail zd30 patrol.

Oh they have a clip on YouTube on the d22 just type in chipit chip d22 and it will come up

Goodluck
Rusty

I took the Nav down to Howell exhaust as recommended and they very confidently said to put in a DP chip. Apparently Tune It is made by DP. Anyway so far so good. What a difference.!

Can't wait to see my fuel economy. But they put it on the dyno and a total of 18kw improvement. Have the print out which I'll scan in soon

Cheers
T

Old.Tony said:

They don't have butterflies on the air intake, so every time the piston goes down, it draws in a full load of air. The way to vary the power and revs is to vary the amount of fuel that goes in (basically ... there are other factors, like varying the injector opening time, duration, frequency).

That's done by varying the fuel rail pressure. It's a bit like your garden hose - the aperture is a certain size, when you turn on the tap a little, only a little water comes out and when you turn it on a lot, a lot comes out. I know I'm explaining it in simple terms but it really is that simple!

Most chips just turn on the tap harder than you can press the loud pedal. The Steinbauer is pretty much the same as the DP chip. In fact, the only chips I know of that do something AS WELL AS raising the fuel pressure are the Unichip and the ChipIt.

What makes these two chips even better is that the distributors/manufacturers of the chip (ChipIt - as Robert said - is home grown) come into this forum and are happy to natter with us.

As for how complex the operation would be - I don't think it'd be a big deal. Your clock radio is probably harder to sort out.

Is that saying old tony that the dpchip is good but theres better?

Well, as of tonight I just removed the DP Chip harness and sending it all back for a refund.

Whilst power certainly improved, my fuel economy unloaded went down by 50-70kms a tank. Towing my camper trailer (850kg) it was woeful. I managed to get 350kms to a tank. At power setting 8 it also blew a stack of smoke. It was quite embarrassing to be driving along at 100km/hr to be doing nothing but driving, and then all of a sudden a huge cloud of diesel smoke would billow out. Then accelerating more smoke would plume.

So we turned it down to 4 and I may as well not had a chip installed as there was no discernible power increase, but still fuel economy was no better. So I turned it up to 6. There was some power increase but not that exciting, not as much smoke, but fuel economy was still woeful...

So, its been disconnected for a few weeks now..... And my power and fuel economy is back to where it was.. And I'd have to actually say much better than having the chip installed.

DP Chip and Howell Auto have been very helpful though the whole way I have to add.

Is that saying old tony that the dpchip is good but theres better?

I really think it's best to read something from an actual expert in the industry, who was kind enough to post on this forum: click here.

Do I think there's better? Yes. Unichip (supplied by Northside, the author of the thread I've referred you to) and ChipIt are both superior.

Hi
Well if chip it had a new car warranty like dpchip I buy one but as
Chip it dont have fait in there product I would think twice
My 2 cents

Hi
Well if chip it had a new car warranty like dpchip I buy one but as
Chip it dont have fait in there product I would think twice
My 2 cents

Yep I worry about this too. Maybe because they are tuning quite high to get those power increases. Their 30 day moneyback is useless as it states on their website "The 30 Day Money Back Guarantee does not apply whereby customers change their minds." so its really only money back if something is wrong with the chip.
They dont have a new vehicle warranty so if it goes bang your left high and dry. I guess the get out clause is that ultimately the end user is the one doing the tuning and so if it goes bang then since you tuned it you made it go bang and you wear it. My vehicle cost to much to take that risk so I wont be chip(ing) it.

Thant's not right.

Firstly, the money back guarantee is to give people reassurance that we are not promising things we don't deliver on. ie if you buy the chip and later sell the car well the money back guarantee does not give you the right to ask for the money back. Where this does come into play is where we say you are going to get x amount of power, say on a dyno graph, and YOU cannot achieve this. Then the 30 day money back guarantee is to show you we mean what we say and are not telling porky pies about our products like some in the industry.

Secondly, if the chip were to cause a failure and the manufacturer can prove it to be the fault of the chip, we will cover the warranty.

If the dealer just says, ie "that's the chip mate" and doesn't show HOW the chip failed the part then the onus is on the manufacturer still.

This is then a new car warranty backup.

So to be factual, we offer the industry's best warranty.

Last edited:

Thanks Tony

Even though I have no chip I would recommend ChipIt chips for the go. I have the crd version d22 and will be taking mine to suncoast exhaust to get my dump pipe done and the chipit chip. I can already feel its gonna be a quick trip home.

Goodluck
Rusty

Hi Rusty,where is Suncoast Exhausts?have heard of them before somewhere.,and you think that Chip It is a better way to go?,all very confusing.thanks.Broomanbass,d22.2.5crd

Thanks guys. Really appreciate you honouring the commitment we give. I still get a kick out of seeing the smiles on peoples faces once they have the chip installed and watching them drive off with a better performing engine.

:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back