unexplained loss of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTC 0238 indicates an overly high voltage from your pressure sensor, the one on the intercooler. As Old Tony explained, your sensor is giving ecu terminal 52 a higher than expected voltage. Do the multimeter test he discribed.

This has nothing to do with the MAF/AFM just behind your intake.

Hi my 08 D40 has been lacking power for some time now . hard to get it over 100km per hour
slow up hills / no power to overtake ect.

I JUST unscrewed the fuel cap on the weekend now the things going like arocket??
I WILL screw the cap up & see if prob comes back.

good outcome so far..

There's not supposed to be a pressure release, there wasn't with Mark's ute but driving around with the cap undone relieved the symptoms.

Just an update..

Have been leaving the cap quarter of a turn from closed since this and has not gone into limp mode for me at all.

Only time it did was when the other half filled up at night and the next morn she said it happened out the driveway.. loosened the cap and no problems after that for the rest of the day.

has been driven everyday.

cheers..

gday all

just had my ute go in for warrenty. Went to overtake a truck and all of a sudden the engine dies. Still running just no power. No lights or codes came up either. Pulled over turned the car off and back on again a couple of times until it went back to normal. Did this to my wife about 2weeks ago at traffic lights.

Nissan looked at it when it went in for its 40k service and they cant explain it. So its back in again today.

Anyone had this happen or know what may have caused it?

Jack
i have d40 with same problem pressure valve on common rail u s. Replaced common rail & injector tubes. Shutting engine down will reset computer & valve .

Just a thought with the fuel cap solution. it could be a case of the tank breather being blocked ie crushed, kinked or hornets mud nest ect that prevents the excess rail pressure being pumped back into the fuel tank via the fuel return line. the back pressure would create a bottle neck at the controle valve, this could be the cause of the suction controle valve problem and would certanly cause a spike in rail pressure??? what do you think old tony

I'm struggling to find a breather on the tank (diesel). There's supposedly an EVAP tube, a fuel return tube (which connects to the filler tube), a fuel feed tube (which connects up to the fuel filter in the engine bay) and a fuel filler tube.

Now there's very little detail on what that EVAP tube is for (and it's not beyond reason that they made a mistake). In the petrol version, it handles evaporation emissions and stores that in a canister. The manual does NOT describe any evaporation emission control system for the diesel, nor does it define where the EVAP tube actually connects to, so without unbolting my fuel tank and having a look, I couldn't say if it exists or not.

It doesn't even say that there's a pressure relief valve in the cap (it does say there's one in the petrol version but NOT in the diesel). It does say, though:

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Removal
1. Open fuel filler lid.
2. Open the fuel filler cap and release the pressure inside fuel tank.

So to my mind, that means there is NO pressure relief apart from what the fuel system itself provides. I'm not sure that my information (or my manual) is complete there.

What this means, of course, is that the SCV could be causing pressure-related problems inside the tank which are resolved by leaving the cap loose.

I had this happen to my 07 model a few years ago.. over the space of a week. nissan said fuel but also replaced the scv... i have since installed a long range tank. it has an expansion tank and breather to which i fitted a small filter to keep dust out. havent had any problems since.

Driving my series 6 this morning back from Nissan after it's 1000km check over car was accelerating great as normal when all of a sudden it lost most of its power. Car would still drive but felt like it was in limp home mode. On arrival to work jumped on the forum and found this thread. I opened the fuel cap all good on the drive home.
Surely the fuel tank must have a breather? and mine couldn't be blocked if it does.

G'day Fella's, i have been away for a bit and im catching up on all the info. I took my Nav to Nissan today and showed them the video of my car entering limp mode with no CEL light. It is the one i posted on youtube. My truck has been out of warranty for 18 months but because i took it in to them when under warranty and they could not fault or find a fault code they have requested Nissan replace the SCV. Will get an answer in the next couple of days. I also have a cracked EGR pipe that they are trying to get done as well otherwise 1100 bucks to replace. FYI i did experience limp modes with cap loose as i left it loose after every fill. Still wonering if the mystery humming noise that comes from the fuel tank area has anthing to do with it....has anyone worked this noise out yet?

If it helps fellas...I have a 160ltr Opposite Lock aftermarket tank fitted in my 08 D40 - I've never experienced this problem so perhaps it is peculiar to OEM tanks.

I'm struggling to find a breather on the tank (diesel). There's supposedly an EVAP tube, a fuel return tube (which connects to the filler tube), a fuel feed tube (which connects up to the fuel filter in the engine bay) and a fuel filler tube.

Now there's very little detail on what that EVAP tube is for (and it's not beyond reason that they made a mistake). In the petrol version, it handles evaporation emissions and stores that in a canister. The manual does NOT describe any evaporation emission control system for the diesel, nor does it define where the EVAP tube actually connects to, so without unbolting my fuel tank and having a look, I couldn't say if it exists or not.

It doesn't even say that there's a pressure relief valve in the cap (it does say there's one in the petrol version but NOT in the diesel). It does say, though:

So to my mind, that means there is NO pressure relief apart from what the fuel system itself provides. I'm not sure that my information (or my manual) is complete there.

What this means, of course, is that the SCV could be causing pressure-related problems inside the tank which are resolved by leaving the cap loose.

The fuel tank breather, at least on my 2011 Spain bulid STX manual, is a small 1/4" line, (hard nylex plastic) in a white fitting which is pushed into the LH chassis rail, just in front to the diff, pretty shit setup, as it is pretty much open to all and sundry crap, inc water etc.

My ute was just about non usable with the loss of power fault, I went hunting for a breather, found it, and ripped it out of the chassis rail, pulled the small white unit of he end, and the tank sucked in about 2 liters of air.

So I opened up the breather, no more issues, in 25000km, ute now has 40,000 and has not layed up since 13,000.

I would recommend fitting a flex line off the tank, p to a nice high spot, and fitting a breather/filter (cheap fuel fliter) to keep crap out. this should work.

When the customer service rep from Nissan rang back and asked me if the problem was still there, I told him "no, I have fixed it", he then asked what I did? I told him to work it out himself.

Nissan got back to me and advised they are declining the warranty claim for a new suction control valve as my truck is out of warranty and I've done too many Km's. I reiterated to them that the problem had been there since day 1 and that I had taken it in to them and they reckon they could not fault as no code was being thrown. At the time they said there was nothing they could do until a code directed them to a problem. At the time I questioned them about the SCV and their response was that the problem was nothing to do with my 08 model. Chris the head bloke at the time said to capture the problem on my phone as proof and that's what I did. It's the video on YouTube I posted. I recorded a couple of other incidents as well. When I took my truck back in the other week I emailed them the recordings of it happening. They said they would submit it to Nissan. When they rang me this week and told me why it was declined I explained my predicament. They responded by saying Klosters only submitted a good will request! I tried to tell them that it is a warranty issue and has been from day 1 and that I followed all of Nissans requests but they didn't want any bar of it. I'm ringing them back and going to explain to them that I'm taking this further. The fact that explained to them that I was nearly T boned by a truck on the pacific highway in Tweed Heads cause the heap of shit decided to enter limp mode pulling out of an intersection but what do they care. As far as I'm concerned there is sufficient evidence to maybe have a recall to get all SCV replaced. I can run out of fingers very quickly with the amount of people I know that have this issue in their Navara's. They didn't ring me back on Friay so I'll be on the blower again Monday.

Since mine done it a few weeks ago was fine,until today. Has suffered what would be called white death.started smoking idle to 2000 turned off for a while and checked a few things and now is hydraulics when I tried to start.

Sounds like an injector isn't closing. Have they ever been serviced, or have you used any additives to clean them? It would be interesting to know what kind of life your injectors have had, because the rest of us are using them too!

Nissan got back to me and advised they are declining the warranty claim for a new suction control valve as my truck is out of warranty and I've done too many Km's. I reiterated to them that the problem had been there since day 1 and that I had taken it in to them and they reckon they could not fault as no code was being thrown. At the time they said there was nothing they could do until a code directed them to a problem. At the time I questioned them about the SCV and their response was that the problem was nothing to do with my 08 model. Chris the head bloke at the time said to capture the problem on my phone as proof and that's what I did. It's the video on YouTube I posted. I recorded a couple of other incidents as well. When I took my truck back in the other week I emailed them the recordings of it happening. They said they would submit it to Nissan. When they rang me this week and told me why it was declined I explained my predicament. They responded by saying Klosters only submitted a good will request! I tried to tell them that it is a warranty issue and has been from day 1 and that I followed all of Nissans requests but they didn't want any bar of it. I'm ringing them back and going to explain to them that I'm taking this further. The fact that explained to them that I was nearly T boned by a truck on the pacific highway in Tweed Heads cause the heap of shit decided to enter limp mode pulling out of an intersection but what do they care. As far as I'm concerned there is sufficient evidence to maybe have a recall to get all SCV replaced. I can run out of fingers very quickly with the amount of people I know that have this issue in their Navara's. They didn't ring me back on Friay so I'll be on the blower again Monday.
They reject all that they can until you push push push.
The service guy told me that.

hi, greetings.
i'm new to the forum.
i have a 09 d40 2.5 LE(fully loaded in my country). since the last 20, 000 kms i have been experiencing this problem. suddenly my car losses almost all power, max 30mph after a minute or so. when i turn it off and wait the problem is fixed, so after checking the car for a while and cleaning the battery terminals and connectors still the problem persists, it only happens some times when i floor the gas pedal, not always.
i opened the fuse box in the engine bay and noticed there is no fuel pump and injector fuses fitted, could that be the problem? i checked my gas tank breather and it was free, the maf sensor looks clean and works good, cleanes al the earth cables conections and battery terminals.
sorry for my not that good english.
thanks for your time

Welcome to the forum Manualejo.

Try loosening the fuel cap and see what happens. It could well be the suction control valve on yours - try asking your dealer about it.

The suction control valve has just been replaced on my 2010 ST and it has fixed the intermittent loss of power and the fluctuating idle issue, the funny thing is i tried the loose fuel cap trick and it never made any differance, so even if you do try the fuel cap trick and it doesnt work it still could be the SUCTION CONTROL VALVE

thanks for the advises, i aready did and nathland22 said it has no diference, my dealer here in Panama city, central america well it sucks, i beign a 20 year old college student know way more than them and i am not even studying for mechanic, i will try to call the mechanic chief to see if he knows, as he own a navara too. i love the navara but the problems it have with only 73,000 kilometers i will have to sell it, i fot a suzuki jimny with 83000 kms and it never ever broke down. here in panama most cars have problems because the weather is too hot and to wet and near the sea
anyway, i really apreciate your time guys will tri to see ifi they know about the valve or if i have to get it on other dealer as is denso.. thank you very much

Latest posts

Back