D40 barely driving, dpf light on

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael10

Reaction score
Hi all
The dpf light has been on coming on and off for the past week and in not sure what it means. Just now my old man was towing his van on a car trailer with the nav to Sydney and it just stopped going, it doesn't rev past 2000 in neutral and 1400 in drive. The car doesn't move past 15km/hr
I know it's the dpf light but what does this mean for my wallet and how is this fixed lol
Also it has been blowing a shit load of black smoke

Last edited:
1. Your DPF is now blocked and is in LIMP mode.
2. You need to take it to a dealer for them to initiate a DPF Regen.. This costs approx $600 to do
3. Most likely cause - old DPF is all used up, or wrong oil clogged the DPF

New DPF = $3000..

DPF Delete pipe is $180.. New sensor to stop DPF regen burn about $200.. OR, Tune to remove DPF and Regen approx $1100..

HOWEVER - you need to get the car out of limp mode first before you can do any of the above..

1. Your DPF is now blocked and is in LIMP mode.
2. You need to take it to a dealer for them to initiate a DPF Regen.. This costs approx $600 to do
3. Most likely cause - old DPF is all used up, or wrong oil clogged the DPF

New DPF = $3000..

DPF Delete pipe is $180.. New sensor to stop DPF regen burn about $200.. OR, Tune to remove DPF and Regen approx $1100..

HOWEVER - you need to get the car out of limp mode first before you can do any of the above..

I have a egr blockoff plate and a custom airbox fitted to the car, will they blame it on any of those?
The car is overdue for a service and I'm dropping it off to my mechanic to check it out tomorrow
Is it possible to take it out of limp mode while the dpf is still blocked? Only because it is sitting on the side of the road right now lol

Disconnect the battery and and press the brake peddle for 10 seconds...reconnect battery and start it up...that might work

NO! Battery reset won't work.. DPF error over rules everything else.. Trust me - I know this one well and truly... The only thing will is a Dealer or someone with a Consult 3 machine can do...

The Dealer will force a regen.. This takes about 30 minutes.. They then need to change the oil as it is apparently a very intense process which destroys the oil life.. They charge around $500 or so for this..

If they can't get a forced REGEN to work, then it's a NEW DPF required.. You can't get the car out of the DPF limp mode until the DPF is sorted...

You CAN replace the DPF with a delete pipe and then see if Nissan will program the car to see it has a NEW DPF.. They usually charge around $50 for this - but given it's removing a polution device, most are not forth coming in doing this..

Good luck....

The EGR block will help DPF life, not inhibit..

How old is the vechicle and how many kilometres? I'd say that the DPF is now full and needs replacing... Or old incorrect oil has polluted the DPF and it now no longer works..

There is a place in Perth the "revives" full DPF's basically back to new.. Not sure if you have one in your state though..

Or - a Wrecker might be able to get you a second hand DPF.. they'll sting you hard for it though... OR if you're in a pickle you can buy my old one for $200 and get it couriered over..

Sh!t situation to be in.. I know full well...

Nav is a 2010 model with 115XXX KM. I tried resetting the ecu when It happened and yeah it didn't do anything. Hopefully the mechanic sorts it out I hate taking the thing to nissan they always get me nowhere

the only other option is to have someone with a DPF that can lend it to you, you should be able to use it to clear the error, and then put in the delete pipe to stop it from reoccurring.

He'd need to drive it in limp mode until the ECM saw improved airflow through the DPF and then it would drop out of limp mode.. Did not work in my instance - and Nissan needed to clear it..

It's in limp mode. The DPF needs to be regenerated and it's not being given a chance to do it.

Your car could do it if it's had its DPF removed and/or one of its sensors has started playing up. If you've removed your DPF, send a PM to "auggie" on this forum and ask about the sensor replacement.

You can find the DPF under the floor beneath the front passenger footwell. It should be a bulky thing in the exhaust with a couple of small tubes coming off it.

If you DO have a DPF, then one of two things must now occur:

1) The car must try to do a regen on its own. Certain specific conditions have to be met to do this, and here's what I'd do in your position. First is note the trip meter and get the radio PIN handy. Pop the bonnet, disconnect the battery negative lead then press your foot on the brake, replace the lead on the battery and close the bonnet. This should be done by a single person. Now take the car for a gentle run on as flat a ground as possible for at least half an hour. Do NOT exeed 90km/h, do NOT tow, do NOT have anything in the tub that's heavy. Engine load needs to remain light, the car has to maintain 1600rpm or better for half an hour or so. This MIGHT clear the DPF - if it doesn't, you're left with option 2.

2) The car has to go to Nissan to have the regen done forcefully. This costs a little, you need to supply the vehicle for a day with a full tank of petrol and the costs are labour + oil + oil filter which must be replaced after the forced regen. You cannot force a regen on your own (easily - you could always steal a CONSULT-II device from a Nissan dealer).

They need a regular flogging or they fill with soot. Driving around town they don't get hot enough. Nissan should tell people this.

They need a regular flogging or they fill with soot. Driving around town they don't get hot enough. Nissan should tell people this.

Exactly!!!

You do not need a Cosult II or III tool to do a forced regeneration. Most quality modern scantools are capable of doing this- I have done about a dozen or so for customers with my Snap-on Solus Ultra....
If you are in the Wollongong area try looking up an old mate of mine at "Fixit" Mechanical...Darren East is his name- he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Mick
Assassin Automotive Solutions

The EGR block will help DPF life, not inhibit..

How old is the vechicle and how many kilometres? I'd say that the DPF is now full and needs replacing... Or old incorrect oil has polluted the DPF and it now no longer works..

There is a place in Perth the "revives" full DPF's basically back to new.. Not sure if you have one in your state though..

Or - a Wrecker might be able to get you a second hand DPF.. they'll sting you hard for it though... OR if you're in a pickle you can buy my old one for $200 and get it couriered over..

Sh!t situation to be in.. I know full well...

Back