Buying Advice Please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here and new to 4wd'ing in general. Looking to get something to take the fam up the beach/offroad camping - nothing serious, just to get out of the 2wd camping areas mainly. I came across a 2004 ST-R D22 3L turbo diesel zd30 with 200k on the clock. It looks pretty stock and in good condition - no obvious rust/dings and the seller says it is in good condition and is asking $7500 for it. Wondering if this seems like a reasonable price for the kms (worth a look?) and what problems I should be looking out for? I have read that they can be a little gutless, sometimes do clutches and EGR valves...I believe the zd30 motors are what are in the GU patrols and are known for 'grenading'...is this an issue with the Nav's?

Thanks in advance, advice help greatly appreciated :)

No real problem with ZD30s grenading in navs mate and for 7.5 g sounds like a pretty good deal. I have a bit of a bias for the zd30 and with a chip or pref remap they are not really gutless. However as far as taking the fam out, if your kids are small, no sweat but the back seat room will be found wanting with leggy teens! No problems in the front seat tho��

Thanks for the reply mate. I was having another look at pics of the vehicle this morning and noticed it doesn't seem big in the back seat but I do not think this is a worry, kids still have a while to go before they get to the teen years. Cheers for the advice, think I will be going to have a look :)

I would see if he will come down on price a bit, theyre a fairly old school ute. See what others a selling for.

Clutches are usually pretty good, 350k and still going on original is not uncommon.

Not really gutless either, can be a bit slow if your not in the right rev range but good otherwise, add a chip and power is good.

Oh yeah, they are tiny in the back. No factory child seat anchors.
My 5 yr old son is running out of room!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply - room in the back seat may be an issue then, I will know when I see it, I have a 7yo, may be a bit cramped for him.

It seems that power is not an issue, is this the same for the yd25 2.5L diesels?

The back seat room is probably ideal for 7yr +, when they are out of booster seats, the boosters take up a fair bit of room.
I drive a mn triton for work and theres probably double the ammount of room in the back of it.

Ive not driven a 2.5, i think they are rated a few kw less but probably still go ok. Both would have their pros and cons.

The 2.5 is factory rated at 98kw, from memory the 3lt was 110kw, but from memory the torque ratings were about the same. I have a 2.5 and find it drives pretty well. It is better since putting a remapped ecu in it, but for what they are, they're not bad.

Latest posts

Back