3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone in Adelaide I could hook up with that has done this mod, and show me how its done as I don't trust myself to do this. :suicide:

STC

ok i had a look last night, under the bonnet and i think i have it,

do ya take the t piece out of the under side of the shutdown solinode and have one bit of hose from from it to the t piece at swirvl solinode and ya use that t piece to to add the egr line to the other line that goes to the shutdown solinode,

sorry if that seem's a bad discription but in other word's there will be nothing plugged into the egr solinode.

stc i was like you but i printed out the first page and took it to the car and just started counting hose's,
and by the look's and my understanding is there will be nothing plugged into the egr solinode.

exactly. nothing is connect to EGR solenoid and the EGR and shutoff actuators are T together and connected to the shutoff solenoid.
remind me to dig out some better photos of it all

couple of pics that may help.
not done by me, if your the person who did them please PM me.

Attachments

• EGRpart1.jpg
    EGRpart1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,914
  • EGRpart2.jpg
    EGRpart2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,591
variable turbo certainly not. if its got normall turbo then proberly not tho i can't tell for sure.

Im stuffed if i can work this out...

im the pics is the green the new route and the yellow the old?
cheers mark.

Another case of writing a reply before i re read all the newer posts..
i think i have it (seems to run fine, i got 3 pics overhead of the 3 stages with the loom out of the way, if i post up can someone please confirm if i have it right?

cheers mark.

i blocked my EGR this weekend. haven't done the swirl valve thing as i'm not sure it is as important. How many of you have done this also? seems to be nowhere near as common. i'm gonna re-read some stuff posts of tweak`es here and do a little googling to see what i can find about the swirl.

i blocked mine this weekend as well.
i reckon my engine is a bit quiter and also runs smoother.
what'sthe swirl valve thing?

As above, i have searched for mods heaps on here and different forums and never heard anything about modding the swirl?
cheers mark.

i did a thread about the swirl valve on a couple of forums tho some of those may be gone due to forums crash.

i have the swirl control disabled, but thats only because EGR is blocked.
the swirl is a good thing when you have lots of EGR going into the motor, it helps mix the EGR and air.

swirl valve only works when motor is warmed up and is only when in gear and from idle up to about ~1500 rpm (i will have to check manual it may be 1700rpm). (ie it only works in the same conditions that the EGR works in)
what they don't tell you is swirl valve actually blocks off one half of the dual intake. this increases the amount of EGR drawn into the motor as the EGR is only on one intake.

hence no EGR therefore no need for the swirl.

with it blocked it does increase off the line performance slightly. however as fueling is limited by the ecu so you won't get a big increase. those with aftermarket chips may find a big increase.

So how do we disable it? is it just a matter of unplugging it?
cheers mark.

i've got it unplugged. not sure if ECU sees it as a fault but will check manual latter and see if its something the ecu checks. otherwise just fit a ball bearing in the vac line ;)

I had a read of the EGR blocking on the Patrol 4x4 site and it only shows blocking with the plate and no mention of changing hoses around. Is this just a Navara thing or am I missing something ?
STC

thats something tweak`e came up with. I read a post he did somewhere on another site explaining why. I did it on mine as he seems to know his stuff with motors. i think i remember its not essential but it is worthwhile done.

Here are the pics i got of the vac lines, is it right?
cheers mark.

Standard but with wiring loom removed.
17052009.jpg

With the vac lines unplugged and the t/ hose you need to use.
17052009001.jpg

And the finished lines.
17052009002.jpg

thats what i have. but i didn't close off the top with an offcut?

Last edited:
I had a read of the EGR blocking on the Patrol 4x4 site and it only shows blocking with the plate and no mention of changing hoses around. Is this just a Navara thing or am I missing something ?
STC

Yep, Specific to the navara ZD30

Hoses are the same as mine have been for the last 10months or so. but would run some tube in a U shape to protect the disconnected vacuum lines.

No problems yet. No increase in boost pressure.
I would personally recomend blocking it both at the exhaust manifold and the intake side. Stops the constant de/pressurising of the EGR system.

Latest posts

Back