Intercooler Clean?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything that dissolves oil. Petrol, degreaser, turps, kero, diesel, doesnt matter. Just remove cooler, pour your solvent of choice in there, hold your hands over the ends and shake. Rinse and repeat. I'm assuming its a top mount so not likely to pool at least? Im guessing it will have a film of oil on it again not long after cleaning. That's where a catch can helps a lot but wont prevent it happening. Its not really detrimental. Slight decrease in thermal conductivity maybe.
I'v fitted a forefront front mount on my zd30 recently, theshape of it looks like it could really get some oil build up at the bottom over time, if i ever have to remove it will probably tap a drain plug into the bottom.

Last edited:
Just a side note, if you still have EGR in place is it possible for carbon to make its way into cooler? Someone please confirm.
Pull one of your cooler hoses off to have a look at what kind of gunk you have in there. If its EGR soot mixed with oil it will take a bit more cleaning.

Just a side note, if you still have EGR in place is it possible for carbon to make its way into cooler? Someone please confirm.
Pull one of your cooler hoses off to have a look at what kind of gunk you have in there. If its EGR soot mixed with oil it will take a bit more cleaning.
Nah I doubt it. The egr feeds into the intake manifold, which is after the intercooler obviously. If you have egr getting in there, then you have big problems hahaha

You CAN get "EGR" in there. It's not EGR, but blow-by (PCV) is exhaust gas just the same as EGR so yes, soot can make its way into the intercooler.

The best solvent for this is petrol. First, it's relatively inexpensive. Second, it's combustible. Third, in minute quantities it doesn't harm diesel engines. Fourth, it's more volatile than diesel and won't leave a residue behind like diesel/turps. Pour about 100-200ml of petrol in it, shake it well, drain it. Repeat a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back