Compressor Test: ARB vs Tigerz11 Thumper compressor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally, quite a lot. I picked up a bundle for $560 at the 4x4 show back in march. That got me the compressor, a pump-up kit with the 6m of hose and fittings, and the ARB tire inflator with the gauge.

It's pretty boss.

Yeah, I pushed them pretty hard on the price. The compressor has a built in pressure cut-off switch, so I can plumb it straight upto a tank, that was a major selling point for the ARB compressors.

Yeah, I pushed them pretty hard on the price. The compressor has a built in pressure cut-off switch, so I can plumb it straight upto a tank, that was a major selling point for the ARB compressors.

and you can buy spare parts for them

I have a Tigerz 11 thumper too. The only dampener about it is the hose blew at the connection onto the compressor after a few uses. That said, I think they all get hot there I guess. Other than that its awesome.

I have a Tigerz 11 thumper too. The only dampener about it is the hose blew at the connection onto the compressor after a few uses. That said, I think they all get hot there I guess. Other than that its awesome.

one other good thing is it has a common compressor fitting so I can use my compressor hose from the shed. Just got to find some heat rated hose so it can handle the heat side of things....

yep

I am hooking mine up to an air tank, bought it from tigerz11.

ok i finally got around to doing the test with my "RIDGE RYDER" compressor i bought from "SUPER CHEAP" (It looks the same as PRO FLOW, TERRAIN TAMER, ECT just different colour)

I let front right tyre down by taking the valve out,

tyre size = 255/65/17

1MIN = 19PSI

2MIN = 36PSI

3MIN = 50PSI

file-5.jpg

my ebay special took a lung full of sand at son of trials
i borrowed nathans comp to air up b4 we went home
great compressor
cant go wrong for under $200

I got one of these too, paid $165 for it from Super Cheap Auto. Very quick and doesn't get too hot, love it.
Same as Ironman as well that is black but they want $250 for theirs. Exactly the same.

this thread was a good test for all those wondering about the "thumper" style of compressors that just about every company is now selling in one colour or another.

Goes to show that its not always better to spend big $$ to get a good product, well often is the case but certainly not in this test.

This thread should be a sticky, then we can keep doing the test as new arrivals come onto the scene

Yeah, I should like to think (the ARB twin) it'll blitz those times, but I may even unplug one of the compressors to make it more fair?

Plus I'm just curious to see what kinda times it can do.

OK....
I re-did the test again, but this time I did it so I was using the same tyre pressure gauge. Last time I was using the inbuilt one on the Tigerz11 one.

Results were surprising as the Tigerz11 was quicker than the ARB compressor, but not by much. For a $119 I reckon its a good buy..... long term durability will probably be the issue though:

ARB results:
1min - 10psi
2min - 23psi
3min - 35psi
4min - 46psi

Tigerz11 Thumper results:
1min - 11psi
2min - 25psi
3min - 37psi
4min - 49psi

I did the same test by removing the valve and letting all air out of the RHS front tyre. The weight of the car was still on the tyre (ie: it wasn't jacked up)

I'm lead to believe that the ARB compressor is better suited to handle the under bonnet conditions and a bit more resistant to water. I'll probably mount the ARB one in the engine bay of the missus car (Prado) and use the Tigerz11 between my Nav and my other toy Zook. It will get more of a workout this way.

rob

my test results with my ebay special ($129 delivered out of melbourne)
using same conditions as rob
readings were taken with arb tyre deflator
1min 9 psi
2 min 24psi
3 min 36 psi
4 min47 ps
have had compressor for 18 mths and it gets a lot of use
it tops my tyres up from 16psi to 38psi when coming off beach easily ,have done 2 cars in a row quite often
it does get quite hot after 2 cars

Exactly, the ARB compressors are fully submersible (apart from the intake, obviously) and fully serviceable. Now for some times...

Front right wheel, from 0 PSI, with the weight of the car on it with the ARB twin compressor.

00:00 - 0 PSI
01:00 - 16 PSI
02:00 - 25 PSI
03:00 - 44 PSI.

Then I stopped, cause I only needed 38 in the front.

WOW... that twin compressor one makes quite a bit difference too.... curious, what sort of $$ do they sell for?

Normally, quite a lot. I picked up a bundle for $560 at the 4x4 show back in march. That got me the compressor, a pump-up kit with the 6m of hose and fittings, and the ARB tire inflator with the gauge.

It's pretty boss.

that's a good price joshman, I just paid $520 for mine

ok i finally got around to doing the test with my "RIDGE RYDER" compressor i bought from "SUPER CHEAP" (It looks the same as PRO FLOW, TERRAIN TAMER, ECT just different colour)

I let front right tyre down by taking the valve out,

tyre size = 255/65/17

1MIN = 19PSI

2MIN = 36PSI

3MIN = 50PSI

file-5.jpg

thought i would put all these together in one spot to show some of the results and price comparisons.

the other point is the dates of the original posts show that the RYDGE RYDER version is now around 2yrs old and has copped a hiding, still going like the day i bought it.
There was a question mark over this style of compressors longevity, from what i can gather they seem to be fine,m i have well and truly got my $140 worth out of it.
Just about every time i use mine it will do two cars + in one go no rest and it pumps at the same rate the entire time.

IMO i just cant justify buying the $580 ARB unit when you can buy something that does the same job but faster for $119. and in some cases they are available from some stores like ALDI for $99.

Good wrote up, I'm in need of a new one since my last was the victim of a 5 finger discount. Sticky - yes as they will produce different units in the future.

Can u put a pressure regulator on the cheaper ones to hook up permanently to a tank? I wanted to put my endless air in the navara but not enough room so it's in the cruiser now. If it's possible I'll happily buy one

Cheers

Can u put a pressure regulator on the cheaper ones to hook up permanently to a tank? I wanted to put my endless air in the navara but not enough room so it's in the cruiser now. If it's possible I'll happily buy one

Cheers
You should be able to fit a pressure regulator to the tank and use it to trigger a 40a or 50a relay which then runs the compressor. You could then either have it hard wired or if you wanted to keep it portable, fit the wiring to the car and use anderson plugs on the car and compressor. That way if you want to take it out for any reason it is easy to remove. Have the hose to the tank with a quick connect fitting and bobs your aunty...

Considering doing this with mine as I have a old 240v air compressor that had a siezed motor, but the tank and regulator are still good. It wouldn't be hard to make a cradle to sit the compressor in while it is in the car. On/off switch in the cab to trigger either the pressure regulator or relay and you're good to go...

Latest posts

Back