Rear diff breather

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i unscrewed the fitting off my rear axle today and it appeared to be a one way valve. does this negate the need for an extended breather, or am i missing the point?

Id rather take my chances with the hose up high in the engine bay then seeing if a one way valve work's.

Dave.

Mud and crud blocks them,you may end up with a leaky diff pinion seal like i did,or axle seals.Throw that thing at someone you don't like and put a hose on.

I dont think it could be a one way valve, air needs to be able to leave and enter the diff as it heats and cools. If it was one way wouldnt it produce a vacuum when the diff cooled?

sorry to ask again but Iam planning on doing this mod this weekend, can I use a tee piece and join the gearbox vent to the diff breather or should I run another line?

On my 08 the transfer case and gearbox already share the same breather, it is teed just behind the front right wheel. The front diff has its own breather.

Easiest way to do the rear diff that I can see is to install the new connector on the rear diff then run the hose up the left hand side chassis to the transfer case breather and tee into it there.

I ran the breather up into the tub behind the lights, then curled it up under the rail (with a hard back on)

Mud and crud blocks them,you may end up with a leaky diff pinion seal like i did,or axle seals.Throw that thing at someone you don't like and put a hose on.

didnt do that, but used it on the end of the fuel hose i ran into the engine bay.

Attachments

• breather sml.jpg
    breather sml.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 566
  • sml br2.jpg
    sml br2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 582
Did mine on the weekend, ran the rear diff breather to mid chassis and teed it into the gearbox breather.

interesting.

i'll have to go double check but my D22 has stock rear diff breather which goes up into the rear chassi.
the front diff, fuel tank and gear box breathers go up into the engine bay. (one of the outlets is top left on jons pic above)

I've checked mine. same as shonky and tweak'e will extend it like shonky described

Last edited:
guys what size hose should i be buying? 3/16 fuel hose? my best guess from supercheap range. or should i go to enzed

Bit late now but I got my hose through Repco I think it was. Cheapest thing I have bought at Ripco.

Time for a bump on this thread me thinks.

Dave.

both my diff breather's are at the back of the engine bay with mower fuel filter's on the end of them

Latest posts

Back